Finasteride/Propecia Routine

HRSN1

Well cutting isn't a problem as I have one of those pill splitter. But my doctor told me finasteride has a long half life so no need to take everyday. But looking at different topics I get the feeling they don't and most places recommend taking everyday! I am worried about side effects if I start taking everyday although I haven't had any side effects taking it every other day for the last three years

My hair stabilised but I reckon I still lost few. My crown had the most improvement after taking finasteride.

I am just curious if people had the same level of effectiveness with varying amount of dosage and routine.

I've been taking 1.25mg daily for the past 1.5 years with no side effects. A few years prior I had quit finasteride because of side effects. Not sure why they stopped but at that time I was taking 1.25mg on a MWF schedule.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

David, have you seen any difference, positive or negative on your MWF schedule vs daily?

Yes this is my question too. If MWF works the same as everyday then why bother taking everyday.

I am still confused about the half life though, not sure why it varies from 7 hours to 48 hours depending on which site you are looking at

Email Dr Steven Edgar as he will be able to help you. I use him for my 5mg Proscar prescription in the Uk. He is a very informed GP on the medication and will be able to offer you insight in my opinion based on questions he's answered if mine in the past.

Drstevengedgar@gmail.com

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I've been on and off over the past 6 years. When I'm able to tolerate it it really boosts my density and that's an understatement.

However it really negatively affects my sleep, so I've been cycling off for 6 months then back on for 3 months.

Most recently I'm using .625mg Proscar 2x week on Tues and Friday. We'll see how this works as this is the lowest dose I've tried so far.

If you don't have any sides stick with the recommended dosage.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

David, have you seen any difference, positive or negative on your MWF schedule vs daily?

With no hard data I can't say for certain. My impression is that the MWF Friday worked to help maintain my hair while diminishing the side-effects I had been experiencing while taking it daily.

I started finasteride again after my hair transplant with Dr. Bhatti. At that time I purchased 1mg tablets in India and took them once daily. Unlike my first experience, I had no side effects. This led me to fear that perhaps the drugs were not legit. However, after switching back to 5mg generic I still have no sides. Not sure why but I'm tolerating the drug well these days.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website