Dr. Feller/ Dr. Bloxham should I do FUE or FUT for my next one ?!

Tnx. I'm going to make my one year appt with the docs office today so I'll have them take a bunch of pictures and then put them up. What I am thinking is that if I can get FUE for the top/back I can have them take from the sides and leave the donor back for another strip in the future.

Hi Beldar,

Good to hear from you!

Glad to hear you are coming into the office as well. We'll get some images up so the community can weigh in too. And I definitely want to evaluate the size of the crown and the overall donor before recommending one way or another.

I think your plan sounds pretty good if the crown area is reasonable sized. However, I would definitely want to be cautious with FUE in the donor area to make sure we don't compromise future procedures or create any visible thinning around the FUT scar. But, like I said before, it should be a reasonable plan if the size of the crown itself isn't too big.

NOW, having said that ....

You would likely still get more overall by doing another FUT. Even if it was a smaller one to cover the crown area. Better growth yield and a more reliable donor region up the road (because you truly never know what the future holds). And if the crown does require a larger number of grafts, I'll likely recommend another FUT regardless. As I'm sure you know, we are big proponents of slow, cautious, delicate, manual FUE; and this, by nature, usually means smaller cases.

Look forward to seeing you in the office soon. Don't hesitate to contact if you need anything in the meantime.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.