HT people think it's a hair system?

Nearly 4 months post op my HT is starting to grow in. I was NW5 so I guess it is pretty noticeable. Some people I know have started to notice and I've overheard some people telling others it is a hair system. THANKS very much, don't worry about checking the facts! I haven't told many people about the HT partly because most people on here seem to think it is better not to say anything if you can avoid it.

So anyway, I'm wondering whether to <UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> tell people it's a HT <LI> just tell them it isn't a system <LI> try to let them see over time that it is growing <LI> just ignore it.

Anyone else had experiences along these lines? What did you do? Any experiences or advice appreciated.

I'm interested in the answers to this too. I am hoping the lengthy growth period over 6-15 months helps to smooth the transition.

I know from his posts that Eman has told some people that he has started taking meds, which is the strategy I'm considering adopting. Hopefully he might contribute to this thread to tell us how successful it's been.

Good question though.

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website

I had a teenager who's known me for a couple of years from the neighborhood ask my 12 year old, "What's up with your Dad's hair?" My kid said "Nothing!" I told him to send all inquiries to me. I will talk openly to anyone with the balls to ask politely. The fact is it's a big change, a fascinating process, and with all our knowledge (thank you Bill & Co) we forget that this is a complete mystery to the follicularly gifted. It's a mystery to most bald guys as well! If I has a Barnes and Noble gift card for every time someone said to me "Does it grow?" I could finally buy the latest season of South Park on DVD. One tactful neighbor said after staring with a sort of baffled look on his face, "I 'm not used to the 'Italian look'." I am not sure what he meant, but he did not explain. I'm willing to assume he meant a young DeNiro, and not Rudy Giuliani. icon_smile.gif Tell them its a miracle, because in a way, it is.

Best,

Ringo

Being a NW4+ myself I know exactly what you are going through imissthebarber.

I definitely am getting the stare at the top of my head by some if not all of my friends at one point or another, especially friends I have not seen in a while. People are noticing and commenting and asking, so I am still using the drug excuse. And like Ringo said, most who have hair don't know anything about finasteride or minoxidil and their true effects on hair growth.

If I overheard someone say I was wearing a "rug", I would make them take a closer look and touch it. If they are going to give their opinion on something they know zero about, I will educate them that I am not wearing anything but simply growing my own hair out...which is the truth. I would not ignore a comment like that, but that is just me.

I also said that if someone straight up asked me if I had something done, I would tell them. And like it has been said on this forum, once you tell one person you can almost guarantee that others will know.

Be proud and show-off that new hair. I take every comment as a compliment...I used to be the NW4 or bald guy, but no more!!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Eman what you said makes sense. I think inviting people to take a closer look is a good idea but I am still building up the confidence to do that. This is partly because shock loss in the donor area is still somewhat of an issue although it is definitely improving now.

Ringo - young De Niro definitely! I think I'd find it easier if people did ask 'does it grow?'. People I know don't tend to come out and ask what they are thinking, maybe it is an English thing.

Originally posted by Ringo:

One tactful neighbor said after staring with a sort of baffled look on his face, "I 'm not used to the 'Italian look'." I am not sure what he meant, but he did not explain. I'm willing to assume he meant a young DeNiro, and not Rudy Giuliani. icon_smile.gif

Brilliant icon_biggrin.gif

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website

• 2 months later...

Well, I think people get a bit confused when they see hair after none being there for a while. While nobody ever thought I had a rug, I did get a couple staredowns during my 3 years of HT's. This is one of the reasons i wanted a gradual solution with smaller sessions. I must say though, nooone ever figured it out or even implied I had anything done. what helped was the fact I always used concealer so my baldness was not evident.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!