The use of Keratin shampoo/serum post-op

It's been suggested by my clinic that I use a Keratin shampoo/serum a week after post-op to encourage hair growth.

Could someone please provide some light as to why this is necessary? Is it actually necessary, or does it simply speed up the process?

The reason I'm uneasy about it is because researching a little online, there are so many horror stories related to Keratin use, especially around it acting as a cause for hair loss. Is this considered rare or does it shed hair in the same way as minoxidil?

Of course the newly plant grafts will shed, but it's the shampoo affecting my existing hair I'm worried about.

• 2 months later...
Where are you hearing that keratin makes your hair fall out??

I would think it would help hairgrowth, not cause hair to fall out.

Got a link for this??

+1, looking into a post op shampoo and keratin is said to help promote hair growth as a fibrous protein.

I understand how taking keratin orally would allow your body to synthesize healthier proteins and make stronger hair shafts, but I'm not certain that it would have the same effect if used topically.

Regardless, I don't see it causing hair shedding.

Did you check with your clinic, ambitious?

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I understand how taking keratin orally would allow your body to synthesize healthier proteins and make stronger hair shafts, but I'm not certain that it would have the same effect if used topically.

Regardless, I don't see it causing hair shedding.

Did you check with your clinic, ambitious?

DrBlackBloxham,

Thank you for the informative post. Is it safe to say, biotin with keratin, orally will be beneficial before and after a procedure? I have two types of biotin, one with keratin and one without - I've been taking the pure biotin, 5mg daily at the moment. I did not take the biotin with keratin just to be on the safe side. Thanks in advance.