Low Dosages

Hey everybody,

Is anyone taking Propecia three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday)? Hasson and Wong recommended this dosage for me since I'm young (21) and will be getting some frontal/temple/side work done sometime next year. I know I don't want to take the full dosage of Propecia, since my body type, and the side effects that will occur. I'm only 110 pounds and 5'3! I'm not so much worried about erectile dysfunction since I'm gay, but the whole cancer risk after using this drug for a while really worries me.

It makes sense that a low dose would be easier on my body, but if anyone here is taking a small dose, could you tell me if you've been able to maintain your hair even a little?

I see my derm in three days to get my first prescription. Eep!

Thanks!

EDIT on June 1 2009: Here's my hairline, and how I hide it. I know I still have most of my hair, but the very mild thinning in the crown, and receding hairline is worrying me. Before I knew about Propecia I was pretty much flipping out for a week about possibly losing my hair. Best to stop it before it gets bad.

Here's the hairline. Mind the acne!

dsc05279bm.jpg

And one I just took today

hairjune1.png

I have taken half a propecia every 2 days for 4.5 months and my hair looks better than before. 1mg is overkill for alot of us,depending on your level of thinning.For mild thinning a smaller dose can be nearly as effective as full dose from what I have read.

HT 2006/7

I had big sides on 1mg but on this reduced dose I feel as good as i felt before using it.Only thing I get is an occasional dull ache but doesnt bother me.I guess I have the level of DHT my body will allow me to operate with.Everyone is different.

HT 2006/7

Originally posted by KeepingWhatIHave:

Hey everybody,

Is anyone taking Propecia three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday)? Hasson and Wong recommended this dosage for me since I'm young (21) and will be getting some frontal/temple/side work done sometime next year. I know I don't want to take the full dosage of Propecia, since my body type, and the side effects that will occur. I'm only 110 pounds and 5'3! I'm not so much worried about erectile dysfunction since I'm gay, but the whole cancer risk after using this drug for a while really worries me.

It makes sense that a low dose would be easier on my body, but if anyone here is taking a small dose, could you tell me if you've been able to maintain your hair even a little?

I see my derm in three days to get my first prescription. Eep!

Thanks!

Just curious - you said you're not worried about ED because you're gay... How does that work? I mean, I'd imagine it still matters, unless you're the "catcher" 100% of the time, always?

OK, sorry for being nosy.

But depending on the sides you get, it's not just erection problems. If it affects your libido, it's naturally going to affect your sex life. Even if it's rare, I'm presuming as you get older, it'll become more of a part of your life.

However, in your case it might even make things easier if you're not "out" and you don't even find yourself attracted to anyone.

About the cancer risk - studies are totally mixed. Some say there could be more risk, some say it actually helps prevent prostate cancer, so it's all still up in the air.

As long as I stay on a very low dose for as long as I can (until there may be an alternative within the next 5-10 years...) I'm hoping the sides won't be too bad... and there is prostate cancer in my family history, but I've read that though it may prevent prostate cancer, it can cause cancer in other parts of the body. I'm not sure if there's truth to that, but that's just what I've read.

Also I plan on coming out to my family within the next month or so, there's no way I can handle keeping it inside for another year. I've been keeping that to myself for well over a decade.

Thanks for the reply, though! I appreciate it. This community is very helpful, I'm lucky I found this place!

• 1 month later...

Just started taking 1mg Propecia today... well, one half Monday, Wednesday and Friday... even though I've had the prescription for about a month, it took a while for me to say screw it and go for it.

I'll keep track of any progress and take pictures once a month, and upload the ones that show some improvement.

Thus my hair journeys begin...

Thanks for everything so far, guys! icon_smile.gif