Donor area from the side of the scalp?

Scribe

I'm in my late 50s and had several transplant sessions in the late 80s and early 90s. As such I've been told there is no more quality donor areas in the back of my scalp which is also very tight from the previous procedures. My doctor wants to take the FU grafts from the side of my scalp - around 1300 - to use to establish a hairline. My first question is if that is enough FU grafts? We aren't talking about a big area here since I only need my harline brought down about an inch over an area that measures five inches in width.

My second question is are there any pitfalls I should be aware of using the side of my scalp as a donor area? Is it common or more rare to use the side of the scalp as a donor area. I'm assuming that at my age and the fact I have had little to no hair loss on my sides that it would be OK as a donor area.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'm in my late 50s and had several transplant sessions in the late 80s and early 90s. As such I've been told there is no more quality donor areas in the back of my scalp which is also very tight from the previous procedures. My doctor wants to take the FU grafts from the side of my scalp - around 1300 - to use to establish a hairline. My first question is if that is enough FU grafts? We aren't talking about a big area here since I only need my harline brought down about an inch over an area that measures five inches in width.

My second question is are there any pitfalls I should be aware of using the side of my scalp as a donor area? Is it common or more rare to use the side of the scalp as a donor area. I'm assuming that at my age and the fact I have had little to no hair loss on my sides that it would be OK as a donor area.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I wouldn't do that. I assume your Dr (who is it by the way?)is talking about taking a strip from the side of the scalp? How many strip scars do you have from your previous work? Read this board and look into the top tier Dr's. Also look into FUE which is transplants without leaving a linear donor scar. This is a fairly recent development that is getting more popular as more DR'S learn it.

Hair from the sides is good for hairline work because there are more 1's and 2's and not as many 3's and 4's. However, I agree with the other opinions. With an already tight scalp, FUE is probably a better choice for you.