Shedding after adding new shampoo. Good or bad?

I decided to add a second shampoo into the rotation a couple times a week. It is marketed as an organic hair loss shampoo that claims it "reduces hair loss by promoting additional blood circulation around hair follicles, and restores lost proteins that increase hair follicle strength" and "improves scalp and hair health by encouraging hair follicles to remain in their growth phase". I have noticed higher than normal shedding a day or two after each use with this shampoo. Can this be a good thing similar to a temporary minoxadil or ketoconazole shed that sheds weak hairs that eventually grow back stronger? Or should I take this excess shedding as a red flag to stop use?

Here is the ingredient list.

Aloe Leaf Juice, Sage Leaf Extract, Calendula Flower Extract, Matricaria Flower Extract, Panax Ginsen Root Extract, Colloidal Oatmeal, Lemon Peel Extract, Sodium Methyl 2-Sulfolaurate, Disodium 2-Sulfolaurate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Lauramide MEA, Cetrimonium Chloride, PEG-150 Distearate, Polyquaternium-7, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Peppermint Essential Oil, Chili Seed Oil, Lemon Eucalyptus Essential Oil, Lemongrass Essential Oil, Cassia Essential Oil, Clove Leaf Essential Oil, Candelilla Wax, Cayenne Pepper Extract, Styrax Benzoin Essential Oil, Vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol), Provitamin B-5 (d-panthenol), Vitamin A (retinyl palmitate)

Frogger,

I don't see anything in the active ingredients that should cause a shed. It could be possibly that you are seeing more hairs shedding after starting the shampoo simply because you're paying more attention to it or washing your hair a bit more frequently (now that you rotate with 2 different shampoos).

Remember that it is normal to lose anywhere between 50 - 150 (depending on the source ) hairs a day. You may also see what appears to be more or less shedding depending on the frequency you wash.

This shampoo sounds like a very organic and natural mix of ingredients, and I wouldn't expect to see much of a shed nor would I think that more or less shedding would indicate efficacy like it can with minoxidil, finasteride, or ketoconazole.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 2 weeks later...