How does one determine the necessary amount of grafts ?

I'm trying to understand how one determines the amount necessary to 'fully cover' a given area. Having done a few consultations they will basically just view the balding area and propose an amount. Those proposed amounts can of course vary widely.

However as I understand it the general target is 50% of your original density. Given that I would think the best approach would be to measure (if possible) the density of the donor area to obtain the original density. Then measure the density of the balding area. And then using 50% of the original density as a target amount subtract the density of the balding area to arrive at the amount of grafts needed to create the proper illusion.

100 -original density

50 - desired target amount (50% of original)

20 - density of recipient area

30 - amount necessary to create illusion

Is this the correct way to make a determination and if not how then does one accurately determine the necessary amount of grafts ?

I say this because when I had my procedure I was told it would look great... wouldn't need any more. This of course was subjective. The Dr's opinion. The results in my opinion were quite different. Hardly great and I do need more.

If I do go forward with round two I would much prefer objective to subjective. Or is a truly accurate determination just unrealistic ?