Hey Lefty,

Good question.

Like Squatch said above, we tell patients "3 buzz" and you're good. This means you can shave down to a 3 guard before the scar is somewhat visible. However, most guys now do a "fade cut." This is where they start at a 1-2 at the bottom and/or in front of the ears, and "fade up" to a 3-4 where the incision line is located.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm skirting the issue, however. If you have surgery, you will have a scar. If you do FUT (FUSS or strip) you'll have the linear incision line. FUE, you'll have the puntuate dots in the donor region. And, your own physiology does play a role in how you'll heal. However, I find most people are "normal" healers, and we can safely say the following:

-The 3 guard rule holds true

-Most of what we see really does fall into the "pencil line" or "marker line" category. You may stretch 1-2mm if you're body has a tendency to heal with some hypertrophic properties.

-The scar could be slightly larger after multiple procedures.

Here are a few interesting examples:

I think Dave's (our moderator) most recent photographs of his scar are great for several reasons:

1) He had 2 strip procedures, and it's a good example of what a good donor scar that's slightly larger from multiple procedures looks like

2) It's rare we get to see someone this shaved down (as he was going in for an FUE):

23425.jpg

And here's a good example of a gentleman I had come in for staple removal a few weeks ago. He's going to heal up beautifully:

28gz4wj.jpg

288pfer.jpg

(note: the circular red areas around the scar are from removing the staples a few minutes before)

Here's another one on a gentleman who underwent 2 surgeries (you can see the line at the top of the exposed area):

e719as.jpg

Hopefully this helps. I read your other thread. And it's very normal to be nervous at this stage. Keep asking these type of questions. It will make you feel better. And remember not to "pull the trigger" until you're 100% ready. And, most importantly, remember the trade off: more hair!!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hey Lefty,

Good question.

Like Squatch said above, we tell patients "3 buzz" and you're good. This means you can shave down to a 3 guard before the scar is somewhat visible. However, most guys now do a "fade cut." This is where they start at a 1-2 at the bottom and/or in front of the ears, and "fade up" to a 3-4 where the incision line is located.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm skirting the issue, however. If you have surgery, you will have a scar. If you do FUT (FUSS or strip) you'll have the linear incision line. FUE, you'll have the puntuate dots in the donor region. And, your own physiology does play a role in how you'll heal. However, I find most people are "normal" healers, and we can safely say the following:

-The 3 guard rule holds true

-Most of what we see really does fall into the "pencil line" or "marker line" category. You may stretch 1-2mm if you're body has a tendency to heal with some hypertrophic properties.

-The scar could be slightly larger after multiple procedures.

Here are a few interesting examples:

I think Dave's (our moderator) most recent photographs of his scar are great for several reasons:

1) He had 2 strip procedures, and it's a good example of what a good donor scar that's slightly larger from multiple procedures looks like

2) It's rare we get to see someone this shaved down (as he was going in for an FUE):

23425.jpg

And here's a good example of a gentleman I had come in for staple removal a few weeks ago. He's going to heal up beautifully:

28gz4wj.jpg

288pfer.jpg

(note: the circular red areas around the scar are from removing the staples a few minutes before)

Here's another one on a gentleman who underwent 2 surgeries (you can see the line at the top of the exposed area):

e719as.jpg

Hopefully this helps. I read your other thread. And it's very normal to be nervous at this stage. Keep asking these type of questions. It will make you feel better. And remember not to "pull the trigger" until you're 100% ready. And, most importantly, remember the trade off: more hair!!

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it! This make me feel much better!