Smoking

i am thinking about having ht surgery within the next few months... i am a former smoker... ( quit 4 weeks ago) i also have a history of a mild case of psoriasis...( i plaque on each elbow and 1 plaque on my leg... have not ever had a break out in the top of my head...

will either of these preclude me rom having HT surgery? should i wait until i have been off cigaretes for several months?

thanks

i am thinking about having ht surgery within the next few months... i am a former smoker... ( quit 4 weeks ago) i also have a history of a mild case of psoriasis...( i plaque on each elbow and 1 plaque on my leg... have not ever had a break out in the top of my head...

will either of these preclude me rom having HT surgery? should i wait until i have been off cigaretes for several months?

thanks

Though I think you need to confer with your physician on the psoriasis, I can tell you that I went into the procedure as an ex-smoker of about 2 weeks. I smoked about a pack a day of so-called "light" cigarettes. I even had one to "celebrate" the procedure the next day (shhh, don't tell anyone icon_rolleyes.gif) but I have been a non-smoker since. Let your physician know the time-frame since you quit, but I do not think that it would be a problem.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Most costemic surgeons will not operate on a smoker until they quite for 3 months. The reason's is it comprises anastegious (ms), also until your stystem is completely cleaned/filter out you will have worse scarring because the blood doesnt get to the extreme external capaliaries- therefore comprising the healing process (and with HT-- could risk graft survival if not enough blood circulation is available.)

From what I've read and heard from surgeons, it is good to have a 3 month period before surgery, but others such as above have had surgery and only been off the "cigs" for a few weeks? To be on the safe side, I would wait for 10-12 weeks of clean period.

Somehair,

You have been a nonsmoker long enough that you should not be affected. The scalp is very vascular and should be able to supply sufficient oxygen to heal your hair transplant without any problems of scarring or loss of grafts. The problem with scarring is going to be from the size of the blade that is used for making the slits. Be sure your physician uses something under 1 mm. The psoriasis is a different story. There is a good chance that the surgery could cause an exacerbation of your psoriasis. You need to see your doctor to see if you need any pre-medication to keep that from happening. The psoriasis will not cause any problems with the hair transplant.

Dr. Alexander,

Thank you for your contribution to the forums. This is very reassuring information for any smokers considering an eventual (or not so eventual) hair transplant procedure. Of course, everyone is encouraged to stop smoking immediately. This is not new news.

I have battled trying to quit for years. I tried almost everything. The patch, the gum, the so-called "quit in 7 days or your money back" program, and even cold turkey. Cigarettes and coffee were my vices. I could give up anything except for that combo. The one thing that worked for me was the Commit lozenge. I used the 4 mg for the first 4 weeks and then stepped down to the 2 mg doseage. I still pop the 2 mg every once in a while when I feel a strong craving coming on. That is what worked for me and I thought I would share it for anyone else looking to quit. My best advise: find what works for you and stick with it. If you do light up once, don't beat yourself up about it, just brush your teeth (I found this to be imperative) and go right back to quitting.

For more information on Dr. Alexander, check out this link.

For information on other Coaltion physicians go here.

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Originally from Forum Moderator:

. . . . " Cigarettes and coffee were my vices."

Robert - you're in good company here. I recall an interview with Frank Zappa set in San Francisco - when queried why he smoked by the (health-conscious) attendees, he avowed that, to him , coffee and cigarettes were 'food'. . . Lots of laughs. . . icon_cool.gif