Where to begin!

J-Bo

Hi guys! I'd like to begin by saying what a wonderful source of information this forum is. This is my first post but I have been pretty much stalking a few of you for a couple of months now, tracking hair transplant results etc.

I am 22 (going on 45) and am in my 4th/5th month of using propecia. My hairloss is not obvious due to my hairstyle but when I pull my hair back it is not a pretty sight. I am unsure whether propecia is actually working with me at the moment, although I am noticing a fair amount of shedding (not fun!) in the frontal parts of my hair.

I have a few questions (well actually many questions but I'll try to keep it short!):

1) I read the article on whether propecia works with hair in the front as well as the crown. However this contradicts a lot of other articles on the subject. Is this just a doctor speculating that it may be effective, or are other medical professionals in agreement?

2) I mentioned before that I had been shedding in the frontal area of my head as well as the middle part. If I part my hair my scalp is very visible. Is this a normal effect at 5 months? If so, how long should I expect to wait for the effects to be reversed? (I have read differing views on the timescale when taking propecia. Some say it takes 3 months for visible results to kick in, others say 6)

Thanks for your time. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not an expert but I have been using finasteride for many years and the best advice I can give you is this: be patient, don't give up. Propecia works, but it takes some time and results are usually not spectacular. Anyway, Propecia is probably the only drug out there that really works (along with minoxidil), so we don't have much choice...