The Definitive Answer on When To Wear A Hat Post Surgery

I know there's been a number of forum posts and articles that have addressed this subject, but this is my attempt to "aggregate" if you will the advice from several hair transplant surgeons/experts and those who have gone through a transplant since the opinions vary so widely. So please add your input or thoughts.

Please note this is in regards to a basic hat, not a helmet.

1) On RealSelf, several surgeons weighed in: Will Wearing a hat to work after hair transplant effect growth later on? Doctor Answers, Tips

William P. Coleman III, MD wrote "I recommend wearing a hat beginning the day after hair transplantation".

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD wrote "I keep a supply of baseball caps that I give patients upon leaving the office after a hair transplant."

Does wearing a hat after hair trasnplant affects the hair? Doctor Answers, Tips

Ali Emre Karadeniz, MD wrote "Loose hats that don't touch the transplanted area can even be used immediately after surgery, although the first week, especially the first two days are very critical to protect the transplanted grafts against external damage. "

John Kahen, MD wrote "Wearing a hat will not affect hair growth after FUE as long as the hat is loose fitting to avoid popping of the grafts. I normally recommend that my patients wear a fedora because this type of hat is supported by the forehead and lower back of the head thus avoiding contact to the grafts."

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD wrote "In general, wearing a hat after the first 4 weeks has no effect whatsoever on the outcome"

from another forum https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?15305-wearing-a-hat posters wrote:

"my HT surgeon said it was fine to wear one after week 3."

"I wore a hat nearly all day after my transplant for almost a year, it had zero effect."

Blake from this forum wrote in an article: Can I Wear a Hat After Hair Transplant Surgery? | Hair Loss Q & A

"It takes approximately 7 to 10 days for the newly implanted follicular unit grafts to fully “anchor” and become permanent. Before this time, manipulation or compression of the grafts may cause permanent damage and affect growth. Due to this fact, most hair transplant surgeons recommend waiting 7-10 days before wearing any type of cap that could compress, move, or dislodge a graft."

From this forum, a few posters wrote:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177705-how-long-after-transplant-should-you-wear-surgical-hat-not-baseball-hat.html

Squatch: "I wore a ball cap the next day and never pulled a graft. I wore it loose. I kind of pinned it with some sunglasses I placed above the bill. It put no pressure on any incision. "

Pkipling: "I actually left surgery wearing a hat provided by the doctor. I had a bandage on to cover the donor area that I kept on until the next day, but gently placed the cap very loosely and strategically on top of my head so that the grafts were never touched."

So from all of this information, what I've parsed is the longer you can go without wearing a hat the better with an ideal timeframe being at least 7 days post op, but it's possible and fine to wear a hat as soon as the day of the surgery, as long as the grafts are not impacted by the hat.

I think the 2nd part of that statement is important because most of don't have the luxury of staying locked inside our homes for a week:)

Also a fedora seems like an ideal hat because it rides higher off the head and only potentially touches the sides of your head: http://datedaily.mate1.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/fedora.jpg

So please weigh in if you have any input!

Edited by FUEAsianHairline

Well for me I have just worn a hat after surgery to protect the graft area. So I have been using a trilby style hat which for the first short while (say about a day) on top of a head bandage.

After that I have used it whilst working for the first all important 7-10 days until the grafts are properly anchored.

There after I don't want to be wearing any kind of hat :-) after years of hiding my baldness