Long-term HT outcomes

Hi,

I've never posted to this board, but I read it religiously. As I read through the posts, two questions keep running through my mind:

First, many people report the outstanding results of their recent HTs, but I haven't seen postings from those that had their HTs several years ago. I'm curious to find out if transplanted hair is truly DHT resistant (long-term), or if that's merely a theory that people hope will be borne out during the coming years.

Second, while I'm holding out hope that HTs are the holy grail that will allow me to keep a fairly full head of hair, it concerns me that many, if not most, folks posting on this board have had multiple sessions - even those that have had nothing but success. Is this because people are so thrilled with the results that they just want more? Or will most people need additional sessions as they age and hair loss continues? I don't want to get my frontal scalp covered only to end up 10-20 years later completely bald with just a tuft of hair in the front. If I have one HT, should I expect to need more down the road?

Hi,

I've never posted to this board, but I read it religiously. As I read through the posts, two questions keep running through my mind:

First, many people report the outstanding results of their recent HTs, but I haven't seen postings from those that had their HTs several years ago. I'm curious to find out if transplanted hair is truly DHT resistant (long-term), or if that's merely a theory that people hope will be borne out during the coming years.

Second, while I'm holding out hope that HTs are the holy grail that will allow me to keep a fairly full head of hair, it concerns me that many, if not most, folks posting on this board have had multiple sessions - even those that have had nothing but success. Is this because people are so thrilled with the results that they just want more? Or will most people need additional sessions as they age and hair loss continues? I don't want to get my frontal scalp covered only to end up 10-20 years later completely bald with just a tuft of hair in the front. If I have one HT, should I expect to need more down the road?

van,

I believe the reason you don't see much from people with HT's a few years in, is because they moved on and are happy with their results.

Why read about HT work if you don't need it! But yes, it is DHT resistent on your own hair DHT hair area.

As, for #2,

Some go back for better density, additional coverage, or just slight tweaking. All preferances.

Though there are some that have to go back due to poor planning by a HT physician, to make sure blending is still there from additional hairloss. This is rare if you choose the right physian.

VanitySux,

If a person feels the need to improve their hair line for whatever reason, it is reasonable to expect that they will always feel that need.

As much as we kid ourselves that we have finally found the 'perfect' HT, of course we haven't. Even the best result often requires some touching up as techniques improve or further balding demands it.

Hair restoration is definitely a multi station trip for most patients. From past experience, it can be very hard to be totally satisfied.

HT is good, not perfect.

And that is the problem.

HBT is exactly right. The main reason that you don't see many "long-term" hair transplant "Vets" posting is because they have simply moved on with their lives.

This is especially true if they are happy with their results. They have found a solution to their affliction and have moved on.

There are notable exceptions to this rule, however, that post on this forum with regularity. Some of these are Gillenator, Smoothy, and Arfy.

Another one to look at is Pat, the publisher and founder of this community. You can see his story (which also points out why this site and forum came to be) here:

Pat's Story

Pat's Procedure

Pat has recently added some more grafts to his crown as detailed here:

Pat goes back into the chair

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog