Flaky skin from minoxidil - effect on hair loss?

pdr

Hi,

I am using 5% minoxidil (not foam) and I am experiencing flaking on the scalp like I have seen many others do. I see some people suggest using the foam, but the problem is that the foam version does not exist in my country, and it is quite difficult to import it from other countries as well.

So I am just wondering; does the flaky skin caused by minoxidil inhibit the hair growth effect from minoxidil? Because it is not bothering me that much, its just that I have the feeling that it is not good for my scalp and my hair.

Anyone? :)

Thanks!

Hi,

I am using 5% minoxidil (not foam) and I am experiencing flaking on the scalp like I have seen many others do. I see some people suggest using the foam, but the problem is that the foam version does not exist in my country, and it is quite difficult to import it from other countries as well.

So I am just wondering; does the flaky skin caused by minoxidil inhibit the hair growth effect from minoxidil? Because it is not bothering me that much, its just that I have the feeling that it is not good for my scalp and my hair.

Anyone? :)

Thanks!

I have been experiencing the same thing, I have been using Kirkland Minoxidil and it has been making my scalp itchy.

pdr,

Scalp irritation, redness and flaking are known side effects of liquid minoxidil. The culprit is the ingredient propylene glycol which is not present in foam based products. Another advantage of the foam is that it dries quickly and is non-greasy.

I'm not a physician but it is my understanding that the flaking caused by liquid minoxidil will not affect hair growth. If it starts to bother you, you may find relief by switching from 5% to a 2% solution.

From your profile, it appears that you live in Belgium. I'm surprised to hear that minoxidil foam is not available in your country.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website