New to all of this - Need some Advice on Doctor and Meds

Tdogg

OK, so I am 31, and I have been experiencing steady hair-loss for about 6-8 years.

Using this scale I would say I am about a "3" to a "3 vertex" right now:

hair_replacement_therapy.jpg

So I have seen and read about surgeries and looked at some reviews for surgeons in my state etc. I don't think I want to go with a full surgery right now. If I could maintain and maybe regrow some hair I think I can live with that. That may change, but I'd rather try non-surgical methods for now.

My questions are:

1. Should I seek out a Hair Loss professional first for consultation to see what they recommend for meds or topical solutions? Are they more prone to just suggest surgery since that's where they are going to make their money?

2. I live in Orlando, FL - Who can you guys suggest for a consultation if that is the path I should take?

3. From my research the first options are usually Rogaine/Minoxidil and Propecia. Is it a good idea to go with the brand name stuff or are the generic brands I have read about just as good?

I have been going back and forth on this hair loss issue for years and I have done research on and off but the time has come for me to finally make a move on this. So any help and suggestions are very appreciated.

Thanks!

Tdogg,

Welcome! You've come to the right place for quality advice.

1. Should I seek out a Hair Loss professional first for consultation to see what they recommend for meds or topical solutions? Are they more prone to just suggest surgery since that's where they are going to make their money?

I suggest that you start by consulting with one or more world-class hair restoration physician such as those recommended by the Hair Transplant Network. An ethical surgeon will advise you if you are a good candidate for surgery and assist you in formulating a realistic, long-term plan. In many cases, this involves starting Propecia (finasteride) and/or Rogaine (minoxidil) one full year prior to considering surgery.

2. I live in Orlando, FL - Who can you guys suggest for a consultation if that is the path I should take?

Unfortunately, we don't currently recommend any hair transplant surgeon in the Orlando area. However, a quality hair transplant surgeon is worth traveling for. You get one shot at a first hair transplant and you don't want to take chances.

3. From my research the first options are usually Rogaine/Minoxidil and Propecia. Is it a good idea to go with the brand name stuff or are the generic brands I have read about just as good?

You'll hear differing opinions about this. I'm a fan of minoxidil foam and have used Kirkland brand, Target brand and Rogaine brand. As long as it contains 5% minoxidil they should all be equally effective. When I took finasteride, I always used generic 5mg tablets and quartered them. This is the most economical way to purchase it. If the drug is purchased from a reputable source, it should be just as good as Propecia.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website