Donor Density

80-90 is a very high density, not average. It is rare to have density over 100 grafts per cm2.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

There is a lot of literature out there that suggests that 100 fu/cm2 is average in terms of donor hair density. Although it is not abnormal, it is not what I would call "average," particularly in men with MPB. I consider 80 to be an average donor density.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Re

HairLossCure:

Notwithstanding the literatures that state that average donor is 100 fu/cm2, which i had read by the way, i am curious about dr. Rose's own observation from his own practice about the average density.

I do agree with you that 80 would be the average, 90 would be on the higher end of density and 100 would probably be the maximum density. This is based on various discussions i had with several doctors from the Coalition, and it is based on their own experience, not some literature.

The conclusion of this is that ideally, patients should try to achieve a density of 40-50 fu/cm2 in order to achieve appearance of fullness of hair. Anymore than that is a waste of grafts. Of course, if the doctor is using 1 hair grafts at the hairline, the density can go a bit higher.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Also, remember that density relates to hairs/cm squared of scalp. A huge variable that is not reflected by either donor or recipient density is hair thickness. A thin hair-ed asian may have the same # density as a wavy hair-ed middle easterner. But the 2 will have quite different requirements to get equal coverage. My point being, don't get bogged down with numbers...opt for a treatment PLAN that meets your needs.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

It is true that one should not be bogged down in numbers as the hair caracteristics vary greatly. However, when a dr. Armani's rep recommended density of 75 fu/cm2 because he said that my natural density is 150 fu/cm2, i can't help but scream and be pissed off that the rep tried to to mislead me.

And that is before i hear from another Armani's rep bragging that his clinic can achieve a density of 100 fu/cm2...

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Latin,

I think you might have misunderstood me. I am not suggesting that you or anybody else should accept 100 fu/cm2 as ???the average??? donor density. I was merely stating that some previous literature has described 100 as average. I would describe it ??“ 100 fu/cm2 ??“ as very good, but not off-the-charts.

I would add, though, that different doctors have different ways of calculating follicular density. There is such a thing as a ???follicular cluster,??? which might be considered as different from a follicular unit. That is, a ???cluster??? of four hairs, for example, might be counted as two 2-hair follicular units in a tight bundle, or a single 4-hair follicular unit. Depending on how your doctor is counting, you will get different numbers.

BTW, a donor density of 150 fu/cm2 is totally off-the-charts. That number is either a low hair density, or an *extremely* high follicular density.

Regarding your comment about grafted density: sometimes 40-50 is sufficient, sometime more or less is required. It is highly variable, depending on the hair characteristics (as I am sure you know). That said, I think 40-50 grafts/cm2 is a totally reasonable first-pass grafted density.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.