[Qustion]Advanced Deposit for HT Surgery?

Kikiss

Hi Guys,

I am planning to have a HT surgery with one of the top doctors in Europe recently.

I am actually from overseas outside Europe so I have been only contact the clinic/doctor by email. They requried me to transfer a deposit (about 1/5 of the total cost) in advance so that they could reserve the date for my surgery.

I am just wondering if this is normal, and what should I do to make sure if they would take the deposit properly? (In other words, I am a bit worried something would happen if I pay the money to a stranger overseas.)

Thank you guys in advance for any replies.

It can be a problem but it is fairly routine for the clinic to request a holding deposit. I recently had a frustrating experience with an international bank transfer where the recipient clinic claimed non receipt despite informing them that the sending bank confirmed proper execution of the transaction. There is not much you can do about this situation as the receiving bank will not cooperate with you since you are not the account owner. Fortunately, after several months, countless phone calls and emails, the clinic "found" the missing deposit and agreed to refund it. If the recipient of the wire transfer is either incompetent or dishonest you could lose the money as your bank will only assist you in showing that the money was sent but what happens to it after that is not their concern.

I just sent another overseas deposit and this time it went smoothly. You are much safer with either PayPal or a credit card should the clinic be willing to accept an alternative form of payment.