Hair Behaving Badly

Ceasar08

Hi guys --

Apologies for the raunchy thread title, but I'm glad that I got your attention...

Here's my situation: I'm approaching thirteen months out from my HT. I am planning on writing something more in depth, but for now I need some advice.

I received 4400 grafts from Dr. Feller (I was a NW5) and he did a pretty amazing job. There is no question that my hair has continued to thicken quite a bit even past the one year mark. In fact,these past four weeks have been pretty significant.

When I wet a comb and comb my hair straight down into my "Ceasar" style, I get a nice shingle effect which looks great and makes me feel confident.

The problem is that the hair eventually dries, gets exposed to the weather, and then starts to curl quite a bit (my hair is naturally straight). When the hair doesn't behave I really lose that great illusion the shingling provides. In my case, with my level of loss, the hair absolutely needs to lay flat. I know a lot of people have issues with their hair being kinky and unruly after a transplant, but in my case, my hair is absolutely CRAZY and pretty unmanageable.

My questions:

1. Anyone know a safe hair product to use that might keep my hair nice and straight? I saw lots of things in the drug store (all seemed geared towards women) but I don't really know what to buy.

2. Is it unusual to have this problem to this degree, this far out from the HT?

3. I'm sort of afraid to let anyone cut my hair at this point. The grafts need to layer just right, and I fear somebody might make one bad cut and ruin everything. Anyone who can relate to this?

I really appreciate responses on this issue. Right now, keeping the hair straight really makes or breaks my appearance.

Hi guys --

Apologies for the raunchy thread title, but I'm glad that I got your attention...

Here's my situation: I'm approaching thirteen months out from my HT. I am planning on writing something more in depth, but for now I need some advice.

I received 4400 grafts from Dr. Feller (I was a NW5) and he did a pretty amazing job. There is no question that my hair has continued to thicken quite a bit even past the one year mark. In fact,these past four weeks have been pretty significant.

When I wet a comb and comb my hair straight down into my "Ceasar" style, I get a nice shingle effect which looks great and makes me feel confident.

The problem is that the hair eventually dries, gets exposed to the weather, and then starts to curl quite a bit (my hair is naturally straight). When the hair doesn't behave I really lose that great illusion the shingling provides. In my case, with my level of loss, the hair absolutely needs to lay flat. I know a lot of people have issues with their hair being kinky and unruly after a transplant, but in my case, my hair is absolutely CRAZY and pretty unmanageable.

My questions:

1. Anyone know a safe hair product to use that might keep my hair nice and straight? I saw lots of things in the drug store (all seemed geared towards women) but I don't really know what to buy.

2. Is it unusual to have this problem to this degree, this far out from the HT?

3. I'm sort of afraid to let anyone cut my hair at this point. The grafts need to layer just right, and I fear somebody might make one bad cut and ruin everything. Anyone who can relate to this?

I really appreciate responses on this issue. Right now, keeping the hair straight really makes or breaks my appearance.

Hi Ceasar

I will only take Q1. First, it may be worth sending Eman a PM as he was going to be experimenting with products I believe. For my part, I used aloe vera gel like a lot of people after my HT to ease the redness in the recipient area and I have continued to use what I had left as a hair gel. It's safe, natural and (I find) it has a surprisingly good straightening effect. And it's cheap! It might be worth a try.

Good luck

P.S. Would not a raunchier title have been "I need some sticky lotion to keep me straight"?

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website

As a rule, I'd say run -- don't walk -- away from hair gels. For your untamed locks...I would look into a styling creme or paste (prolly a creme). Use this in conjuntion with a "hair straightener"; be careful with these as the wrong ones can do you more harm than good (re: density). Essentially, this will give your hair the same +properties (and then some) that you enjoy when you first brush your hair, but invariably lose.

You can get all this OTC. The "hair straightener" ointments usually aren't viscous, and are kinda watery, which again isn't the best thing for your density, but optimally it will be a small sacrifice for your straightened hair. They work fairly well, especially if you use them in tandem w/ a styling aid like I mentioned.

Also, I'd stay away from getting your hair "professionally" straightened -- it can wreck what density you have.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I appreciate the responses. I know almost nothing about hair products.

I'm open to trying everything. Love to hear more people's thoughts...

Ultimately, my obvious hope is that by 18 months to a year my hair will calm down naturally.

Hi

Best items to use to straighten hair as I myself use them when my hair is longer ( its wavy)

1- Blow dry with straightening cream - all hair care companies make it but i like the wella products or Bumble and bumble

2- Straightening irons - with a pull over your hair it will be nice and stick straight. You can use some iron spray to protect the hair from the heat

thats the scoop

Jobi

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Sleek Style Calming Smoothing Cr??me by Nexxus works great and you cannot tell you have anything in your hair and there is no "smell" to it. Apply it to towel-dried hair and let it air dry. My hubby uses it, has the same haircut as you, and somewhat unruly hair dependant on the weather...

Good luck.

Jessica

HT Coordinator

Limmer HTC

Dr. Brad Limmer is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians