5 Days Post-Op and Washing

Hey All

I should introduce myself as I've lurked around here for awhile before making the decision to get a transplant. I've created a blog, which you can view here: (Hair Restoration Site for Dr.MoreHair) if so inclined.

Anyhow, my question is on your experiences with after care. I'm now day 5 which according to the T&D protocol is now time to wash hair under a regular shower with very gentle finger tip washing of the transplanted area. At this point I don't have too many scabs, but have had what looks like dried dead skin sitting around the grafts - they're yellowish in color as opposed to the few darker brown/purple scabs of dried blood.

The recipient area is healing nicely, redness greatly reduced as opposed to day 1 and this dried skin it coming off grafts ready to flake away. I did notice with the gentle finger tip rubbing the dried/dead skin was easily flaking away, but also i might have lost one hair and another 2 hair that looked like a little bulb on the end of it - no bleeding though.

Anyhow my question is when the transplanted hairs shed do you generally see the little bulb like when you pluck a hair out of your face or is just a weak dried out looking hair shaft?

Alternatively, if you don't want to answer that question just tell me my hair is going to look awesome in 6 months :P Haha

Thanks guys and thanks for a great forum and source of information for MPB sufferers!

follow your doctors instructions, but also remember grafts are permanently secure at day 10 post-op so you need to be very gentle at this stage

transplanted hairs can have the bulb attached and in most cases there is a slight kink or bend at the end that was implanted into the scalp

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Thanks HSRP. I think I'm being quite gentle especially in comparison with the guy in their post-op instructional video, but I guess at this stage it's always a little disconcerting to see a few hairs come out, which may or may not be grafts.

BTW Your hair looks great from the small procedure with Dr. Konior. How many did you have with H&W?

Thanks man, I understand. After having a few procedures, I like to "wash" with a spray bottle or only cup of water until around day 8-9, then soak my head sometime after that, never touching the grafts until after day 10. The reason is my scalp produces oil and sebum and shampooing it without any water pressure leaves a yellow-white coating when I can't use strong water pressure. Similar to what you are seeing now the yellowish dead skin exfoliating. Anyway, just follow the doctor's instructions and you should be Ok, I think H&W's instructions are similar in terms of early washing.

My first procedure with Dr. Hasson was around 2,200 grafts for the frontal third and is the core of my current "new hair" density. The second procedure for more intense hairline work was with Dr. Konior at around 1,500 grafts.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)