Post Op Care - Best Practices

Please note that I am not a doctor or a medical professional of any kind, and the information I have listed below is based purely on message forum research and intended to create a discussion about post-op care best practices.

With the understanding that different HT clinics have their own post-op protocol for how to care for the donor and recipient areas, and that we are all unique individuals with varying pH levels, hormones, blood circulation, etc., I was hoping that there is some general consensus among those in the HT community as to best practices during the initial two weeks following an HT.

Specifically, I have read that transplanted hair takes anywhere from 4-14 days to anchor properly, after which patients may engage in more vigorous washing of the recipient area. My hope is that people who have been part of these forums for awhile, in addition to people who have actually gone through a HT procedure relatively recently, can either confirm or deny the effectiveness of the different types of post-op care.

Assumption #1) Immediately following an HT, the average patient should not disturb, aggravate or traumatize the recipient area within at least 10 days of the procedure (examples include a) vigorous hair washing; b) bumping head on any hard surfaces; c) using hair products like gel, hairspray, concealer, hair dye, minoxidil, etc.; d) wearing a tight-fitting hat such as a beanie or headband; shaving the head).

Assumption #2) During the first week, the recipient area should not be placed directly under a shower spray (hair should be gently cleansed by pouring warm water mixed with shampoo over the recipient area and then rinsed). Can this be done beginning on day two, and performed every other day, or even every third day? The goal is to disturb the recipient area as little as possible.

Assumption #3) During the first week, the recipient area should be kept moist by some type of spray which assists with softening the scabs to prevent them from pulling out grafts that have not yet anchored (this includes, but is not limited to, aloe vera, vitamin e, water, coconut oil mixture, etc).

Assumption #4) During the first week, rest as much as possible and allow the head to be elevated slightly during sleeping periods.

Assumption #5) During the first week, you may resume taking vitamin supplements (this includes, but is not limited to, MSM, biotin, zinc, B complex, calcium/mag, d-3, etc.).

Assumption #6) During the first week, prolonged exposure of the recipient area to the sun should be avoided.

Are there other post-op measures one should take other than trying to eat healthy, get plenty of rest, don't stress too much, don't look in the mirror too much, and generally try to redirect your attention to other activities, without over exerting yourself physically or mentally?

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

I think that's a pretty good list of "basic assumptions"

For the prospective patient, be sure to choose a recommended surgeon on this forum as they will have a proven post-op procedure for you to follow with many, many successful cases to back it up.

For the initial washing I would let the clinic do it, and stay local for this purpose.

Also for sun exposure, avoid direct sun exposure for at last 2 weeks, and avoid sunburn for at least six months

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I would follow all of your assumptions. Thanks for sharing, great concise info.

I have the following addition:

Assumption #7) During the first week, wear mittens to bed. (I put on thick layers of socks.) So that you don't scratch your recipient area. We often scratch our heads while asleep without realizing, normal reaction.