The "Big 3" on the Hairline

JustRelax!

I'll preface this by saying that I just turned 21. I was denied a HT by Dr. Fellar due to my age in combination with my hairloss not being quite "bad enough". I disagree, but whatever. My hairline is receeded about an inch or more on both of the frontal sides. However, I have retained a small number of hairs. A few thicker black ones that can literally be counted, and a bunch of tiny white/clear hairs on either side. He recommended I begin using Propecia.. he also said to avoid rogaine because he has seen no results outside of peach fuzz grown. I had been taking liquid Minoxidil(5%) for only 4 months prior to my meeting and I personally saw a DEFINITE improvement in both sides of my hairline. The hairs were not thick nor black by any means, but it was additional HAIR. I stopped because of several reasons. Silly I know.. it would have been nearly a year and who knows what improvements in my hairline I would have seen, or not. In any case, I've been using the "Big 3" since seeing Dr. Fellar; Propecia, Minoxidil 5% liquid, and Revita Shampoo. While my entire upper scalp is thinner than the sides and back, it isn't bad enough to focus on. Aslong as I can maintain what I have there it only will be visible with a buzz cut. My main focus is solidifying the hairline. I don't expect the hairline I had when I was 15, but it has gone a bit passed the normal mature hairline in the frontal area(sides).

I've researched as much as I can for an answer to the question: Does Propecia/Rogaine work on the hairline? Since starting Propecia for 2 months now, I recently decided to add Rogaine to my regime once again. I am in the middle of what I perseve as a shed. Most people say the answer is NO. It does not work. Then a good number say it DOES work, however they cannot claim this due to both products only being tested on the crown/vertex. I am interesting in opinions on this matter. I don't quite understand how a product can be effective in just one specific area and useless on another(the midscalp/hairline). Perhaps not as effective as the crown, but something must be possible. How do others feel about this? Any personal experiences outside of simply reading "NO IT DOES NOT WORK"?

I should point out that the blonde/weak hair I KNOW I gained in the frontal area using minoxidil was quickly lost after I stopped using it. Infact, it made my hairline look quite a bit worse. Where I once had a limited amount of colored hair amongst many blonde/weak hairs, it looked like just a 1x1 inch patch of baldness(but still had those weak hairs). Is my outlook better because of my young age and the fact I am not bald yet in the area I want to attack? Time will tell if I see improvements from this combo.. and to be honest I am somewhat positive I will. Personal opinions?

Welcome Justrelax!

I am on a similar combo: Proscar, Rogaine and Nizoral.

Since starting all 3, I believe my hairloss has improved (it has not receded any further, I know that much).

It is widely considered that those 3 meds are your best line of defence in halting your loss and/or regrowing the hair that has been lost.

I have seen some truly excellent photo results of the frontal zone where the patients claim it was down to the Rogaine alone. Also, Upjohn, show photos from clinical studies which show growth (albeit on the crown).

I myself haven't experienced the same growth in the hairline, but I grew a lot of peach fuzz. I don't can't say if this is from the Rogaine, a combonation or even a placebo effect.

I think it is odd that Dr. Feller recommended that you don't use Rogaine, when he has stated on here it works for some and he also recommends it to his patients post-op to speed up growth (which granted, is not the same as restarting growth but on that basis I would assume he believed it beneficial). If it benifits transplanted hair I would have thought it would also benifit the native that you have in that area? However, if you feel Rogaine has helped you - I would personally continue using it.

Good Luck

my reg will be in my signature below, but i can say i believe that prop (since jan 08) stopped my hairline from going back anymore and the rogaine (since july) grew back quite a bit of the "peach fuzz" only a little more dense.... it has some color, its just feint.

i will say though that recently i have been losing a lot more from the crown... sucks, but its true.... hopefully it'll grow back (i believe i can feel a good amount of hair beginning to stick out from back there... i mean i can def feel them "sticking" my fingers sometimes... hopefully its enough to get better coverage (which now is about 40% coverage back there)

time will tell

ps i'm 24 if that helps answer anything

my reg is:

propecia 1mg EVERYDAY

minox 5% twice daily (f the foam)

nizoral 1%

say la V old buddies .... i'm tryin to keep you