STRESS!

Hey guys. I'm still on the search for why I'm losing my hair at such a young age (I'm 25). No one in my family on either sides have lost hair at this age. I've never really been a stressful person I think. But then again, maybe I have. I know now that I stress allot and know that it's no good for my hair. I want to know how to stop? What do I do? Is there pills to take? Do I see a shrink? Or do I just learn to handle it? Any advice guys how to deal with stress would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

danger

Hey guys. I'm still on the search for why I'm losing my hair at such a young age (I'm 25). No one in my family on either sides have lost hair at this age. I've never really been a stressful person I think. But then again, maybe I have. I know now that I stress allot and know that it's no good for my hair. I want to know how to stop? What do I do? Is there pills to take? Do I see a shrink? Or do I just learn to handle it? Any advice guys how to deal with stress would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

danger

"I'm still on the search for why I'm losing my hair at such a young age (I'm 25)."

Join the club (I am 25 too). I was losing my hair at 17. I first noticed it severely at 18.

The first thing you need to do is to learn to look at your hair loss problem objectively. Think about your occupation. How do you solve the problems that arise when you are at work? My guess would be that you troubleshoot the problem, look at possible solutions for the problem, apply a solution that you feel is best suited to fix the problem, and then apply preventative maintenance to ensure that the problem does not get out of hand again.

I am also willing to bet that you don't get bent out of shape and stay awake nights thinking about problems that arise at work (I am not suggesting that you do this thinking about your hair loss, and if you did do that thinking about problems at work then yeah, you need to talk to someone).

All I am saying is that you are going to have to learn to look at your hair loss just like you look at any other problem you want to address: objectively and level-headed. Sure, it sucks. If it didn't there wouldn't be multiple industries (medical, pharmaceutical, downright laughable, etc.) devoted to the hair loss phenomena.

Also, don't forget to look at the positive characteristics you have. For example, if you work out, flex a little in the mirror and admire your biceps or something after you spend that 30 minutes or so counting the hairs on your head and in the sink. If you are an academic, remind yourself of your accomplishments every now and then. I have an "I Love Me" wall in my home office that displays all of my trophies, diplomas, and military accomplishments. This helps me to feel good about myself even if it is a bit egotistical.

Finally, confidence is a major issue in any avenue of your life. It is the confidence (not to be confused with bravado) that is what people (male and female) pick up on unconsciously and use to form their opinions about you. Their opinion on you will almost always be a direct mirror of your opinion of yourself.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Dear Danger,

Wow, I really empathize with you. Robert really hit home with some very insightful, helpful reflections and suggestions that I am sure any of us hairloss sufferers can relate with.

Danger, I wanted to ask you a few questions about your comments. You stated that no one on either side of your family history has hairloss. This promted me to ask you if your noted hairloss is recessionary (hairline, temporal lobe areas)? Or, might this loss appear patchy or blotchy including areas in the donor zone? The reason I ask is there is an absolute difference in androgenetic alopecia (MPB) and stress alopecia. I have on rare occaison observed patients who had no history of genetic hairloss with the blotchy form of loss and instead of considering a HT (not that your are considering one), we referred these folks to their PCP for evaluation of potential "other" causes of loss. Your primary doctor can make referrals to dermatologists, etc. I am only mentioning this because lets say that your loss is totally stress related, the good news is that it is resolvable and the hair should by all means grow back. icon_smile.gif

Still others I have met with did indeed have genetic hairloss with family history supporting it. It's just that they are going through a very stressful time in their lives and sometimes that can "advance" one's genetic hairloss ahead of its timeclock. In other words, let's presume you have genetic alopecia and the stress in your life is under good management. Will you continue to lose hair? Probably so, but possibly not at the advanced rate that both factors combined can do, that is both the genetic profile and the stress compounding it togethor.

Possibly see a HT doctor(s)for their opinion and subsequent diagnoses. I want to wish you the very best Danger and there are many folks on this forum that can provide some insight because we have been there too. Take care! icon_smile.gif

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hey danger, I'm in the same boat as you. No one on both sides of my family has had a problem with hair loss either. I never once considered that I might ever lose my hair. When I did start losing it, I felt like it was some kind of karmic kick in the groin as payback for goofing on my friends over their hair-loss.

Robert posted some really good advice(the guy seems a lot more mature than 25)

Having lived thru it myself, I will add this: As you accomplish more, you will feel less stress about your hair.

Work on your career goals, get involved in a hobby you really love and spend time with friends/family/loved ones. Don't overcompensate, but don't let hairloss put you on the sidelines either.

You'll realize that you're in a good place, when somebody like John Kerry makes a comment like "we've got better hair" and instead of feeling insulted, you actually laugh.

Same boat-just turned 27. What kills me is that I first noticed my hair loss back around 97. I noticed it the very month that propecia came on the market. I was in denial and didn't even consider taking medication. Fast forward to 2004 and this past year reality has set in and my hair has thinned BIG time. I notice it when I see not so old pictures that look totally different not to mention people that make occassional comments as a "joke". Now I'm 27 and just started propecia a few months ago and am actually saving up for a HT to get my natural hairline restored. I can't help but wonder if my thinning would be still be undetectable if I just went on propecia the second I heard about it.