Post Op questions

Hi, looking for a little bit of help. I've pretty much made my mind up to go for a transplant op in August (although I've been thinking about it since the end of last year as I've got lots on and this is really the only time I'm free). I'm a little bit worried about the post op period and would appreciate some views.

Just how red will my head be post op!? And how long will it be before it settles down? I'm hoping my operation will not be overly noticeable however I do understand that there will be redness especially directly after the op (I'd hope to take 2 or 3 weeks off week immediately after but I know it will last longer - just wondered how intense it will be!).

In the "ugly duckling" phase, is there anything that can be done to help with this? I wear my hair short at the back and sides now in any case - I would hope to keep doing this. Can you trim the transplanted hairs? And how many days after the op could this be done? I don't have much hair at the front now anyway and whats their is probably on the way out (I am now on Propecia however). By keeping it short I thought it might not be as noticeable?

Thoughts appreciated anyway. Thanks.

2 weeks minimum or 3 weeks max. As the donor site heals very quickly. Depending on how skilled your doctor is then the healing rate should be faster. My donor site healed within 2-3 weeks

Ugly duckling phrase usually begins after week 4. If you barely had any hair at front then yes it will be noticeable. Reminds me of my transplant. I had the whole frontal and mid scalp done. And i looked like a proper arse for 2 months! Take a look at my thread to get a idea of what i am talking about

I don't see the point of trimming the transplanted hairs as they going to shed anyway! Usually by month 4 you should see some growth but it won't be a massive change of appearance.

At day eleven i trimmed my hair 1# all over and the scabs have got and its not red so i can go out with my new hair n looking good until the dreaded shed. I would say 2 weeks post op should be a safe bet youre going to look ok if you have a very short hair cut prior to op which i have. I buzzed my top to 1# n Dr Hakan didnt feel the need to buzz it down any more so this would give 6-7 days growth on a 0# buzz on scalp. The donor was buzzed to 0# but this looked ok at day 2 only red.

On reflection i would buzz the rear or know donor area to 0# n blend into 1# onto scalp myself as they just do it and it looks very harsh no blending in.

If youre travelling ie flying get a justable peak cap, i also had a hoodie i pulled over the cap to cover rear n put headphones in to avoid other travellers.

Hi thanks for the replies guys, appreciated.

Voipman, hoping to do as you say. Get my hair cut short in the lead up - both so people see me with short hair (less shock when I see them post op!?) and then just prior to op itself.

The trimming of hairs was more me thinking that it would be less obvious upon my return to work if I had trimmed them down slightly. As they usually shed I didn't think it would matter but I'm probably being daft!? Again, once the ugly duckling phase starts I would look to keep it short to hopefully restrict how it looks. Although again Im not sure if that will actually work in practice.