Steven Gabel, MD - Portland/Seattle - 1883 grafts FUSS

Biz

Just returned this evening from my second HT with Dr. Steven Gabel. The intent of the second procedure was to add some additional density to the front hairline, as well as add hair towards the back of the scalp. Because of my extensive hair loss and limited donor supply, Dr. Gabel recommended that we focus on these areas and not attempt to restore the crown. During my first procedure approximately 3200 grafts were placed. We hoped to achieve 2000 grafts the second time around.

Because this was my second procedure with Dr. Gabel I was much more comfortable and had a pretty good idea of how the day would go. The quality of care was excellent and my experience mirrored that of my first procedure. We spent the first hour of the morning in prep and consultation, and developed a game plan for placement of the grafts.

By 9:00 a.m. the strip was removed and Dr. Gable and his team were placing grafts. A couple of points are worth mentioning here. First, the strip that Dr. Gabel removed was adjacent to the location of the scar from my first procedure. Although this meant that Dr. Gabel had to cut through scar tissue for the first incision the end result is that I will have one scar from two procedures. I suppose this is common place in most strip procedures today but having seen the results of some strip procedures resulting in multiple scars, this was something I wanted to avoid. Second, as was the case in my first procedure, Dr. Gabel was continually present throughout the morning, placing a significant number of the grafts while working along side his team. I found his presence reassuring and it allowed for candid discussion about the progress of the procedure.

A total of 1883 grafts were placed, bringing the total number of grafts from both procedures to 5074. Interestingly, 5000 was the number we originally discussed when I met Dr. Gabel a little over a year ago. We wrapped things up by 4:00 p.m. and I was on my way back to my hotel room.

I arrived early the next morning for clean up with plans to make the 4.5 hour drive home by mid-morning. Things got a little interesting as the fuel pump on my car decided to take a permanent vacation leaving me stranded outside Dr. Gabel's office. It all worked out and I arranged for a tow and repair of the car and was back on the road later the same afternoon. As I waited for the tow truck Dr. Gabel and members of his staff stopped by to chat and brought me a care package of drinks and snacks. It was just one of those little things that took the rough edges off a crummy situation.

I'll post photos on my website within the next couple of days. I'm looking forward to the final result. The waiting begins all over again. My compliments again to Dr. Gable, Aileen, Chrissi and the rest of his great team!

Congrats again Biz! Your first go around was quite productive. You're really going to look after this one. I'll be following your progress.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website