Rogaine for women

emma3

I went to a hair transplant Dr. last summer, and I'm still trying to talk myself into having one. In the mean time, I am considering using Rogaine 5% foam. The bottle states that it isn't effective for hair loss on the top front, and sides, which is where mine is, especially from the hairline back. I'm wondering if I'll be wasting my time using it, is there anyone that knows if it works on women's hair loss as well as a mans?

Emma,

Rogaine (minoxidil) was initially only tested in the vertex and midscalp regions. Because of this, it is technically only proven effective in these regions (by the US FDA). However, many believe it is effective in other regions of the scalp as well. Aside from the more resistant hairline and temple regions, minoxidil usually halts progressive hair loss and creates some regrowth over the entire scalp. Rogaine is effective for women as well. Technically, the 2% solution - not the traditional 5% - is what is recommended to female hair loss sufferers. This is because women - allegedly - suffer worse side effects from minoxidil (swelling, scalp irritation, facial rash, unwanted hair growth, and alterations in blood pressure), and the less concentrated solution minimizes this effect. However, many hair loss experts recommend the 5% to females with hair loss as well. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.