how soon is too soon?

Time is needed for the new grafts to heal and grow to maturity. You don't want to go under the knife after only a few months and have your grafts in a weak, susceptible state. Shock loss is a big enough factor to consider; Don't make it worse by having trauma induced to an area that is already under enough stress. In addition to your grafts, you're donor hair/skin needs proper time to heal and loosen for subsequent procedures. Hair transplants always have risks associated with them. Keep the odds in your favor, and make sure your body is healthy before surgery. Wait at least 12 months!

Even if you are transplanting to a different recipient area I recommend waiting at least six months for the donor area to heal properly. Another reason not to transplant the same area to soon is that you would not want to make a recipient incision right on the scalp above a previously placed graft that has not yet exited the scalp. This could potentially damage a follicle defeating the purpose of the transplant.

There are basically four reasons that I advise my patients to have their next session no sooner than 12 months (we do allow 10 months between a 1st and 2nd in some cases).

1) With today's typically large sessions, it takes a little more time for the scalp's blood supply to be restored to being normal and supportive for the next onslaught of grafts

2) It takes time for the donor area to once again regain its laxity and looseness, so that a donor strip can be taken out with the minimal risk for a wide scar.

3) As stated by Dr. Charles, you want enough time to have passed so that all of the grafts have peeked their heads out and there is no danger of the surgeon making an incision site right on a graft that hasn't yet emerged.

4) I want the hair to grow out sufficiently so that the patient gets some positive feedback that this whole process is worth it and worth going back for more. If you do a procedure at 5 or 6 months, as we did 15 years ago, many patients will not be thrilled with the amount of hair on their head and have doubts. We know that there is tremendous variation in patients as to when the hair will start growing and looking full. Most men take around a year to fully "blossom" and 18 months for females.

5) Misc. reasons: often the financial realities of life make it easier on the family to spread the sessions out, so sometimes the patient almost feels relieved when you push the date back some, as many of them are overly eager to get it all over with, even if it stresses the family's budget - which isn't a good thing.

Mike Beehner, M.D.