Age and HT

ratha91

Hi all,

I'm 22 years old now and have been balding for the last 4 years at least. I'd say I'm at 4 on the Norwood scale now. I've been told I'm not a suitable candidate for a HT due to my age. I'd like to try to generate some discussion on age and HT's. I understand that obviously as I have had hair loss at the age of 22 that there is a significant chance that I will become very bald as I get older. However I'm on propecia aswell as using rogaine twice a day. I thought this was to effectively stop further hair loss, so surely the danger of losing so much hair that a HT for me now and possible further HT's in the future is not possible. As a 22 year it's a bit demoralising becoming 'bald' and a HT at this age would mean a lot to me. I accept that for someone of any age its a great thing but especially for someone in my predicament. Surely there is someway around this? I hope to hear some other people opinion and knowledge on this topic.

Many thanks,

Ryan

• 1 month later...
4 years is nothing really

I concur that you need to wait. I wish I would have waited longer and I'm sure many others feel the same. Use the time to stay up to date in the industry and to develop contacts of people who have been there first. You'll have a much better experience.

Hi,

22 is really young to be losing so much hair. I would worry that hair transplants won't give you an age-appropriate appearance at 22 that can last for the rest of your life. What you need is a look which suits you now, and will either be temporary, or look good for the rest of your life.

Your hair is pretty short, have you thought about shaving it down a bit more and doing temporary scalp micropigmentation? That way in 5 or 10 years you can reassess your hair loss situation, see if propecia has worked and plan a hair restoration strategy (and maybe there will be more novel treatments available!).

I got told this, but it was because I wasn't on propecia. After my hairloss stabilised following 2 years on propecia propecia I am now a good candidate aged 28. Stick with the meds as they may give you the results you want. If not at least your hair loss may be under control and you will then be a good candidate for HT. don't be disheartened pal

4 years is nothing really

when your young 4 years is heaps. i spent the last 4 years looking like grandpa with no hair on the top of my head. looking back at my hairloss, it all went from 18-22 ish then stopped so far. i got my transplant at 26 and now i finally look my age again, well within reason :)

but… you don't know what is going to happen with your hair and how far it will progress. and in reality i don't really think anyone else cares about your hair apart from yourself but it still hurts.