Getting it done next week...

Hey guys,

I am scheduled for my first HT next week, any advice for pre and pot-ops?

I will post pics when the HT is done, also i will mention the doc and the number of grafts then.

Any help/tips is helpful.

-----------------------------------

Dr. Rahal 2745 grafts (3-Dec-08)

Hey guys,

I am scheduled for my first HT next week, any advice for pre and pot-ops?

I will post pics when the HT is done, also i will mention the doc and the number of grafts then.

Any help/tips is helpful.

I put some tips from spex. click on the link if you haven't already. He pretty much lists them all.

First and foremost choose a top doc (preferably one from the coalition). You have a limited donor and once it's gone, it's gone and there is nothing you can do to replenish it. So use it wisely, which goes back to choosing a top doc. And don't let geography dictate who you choose.

There will be more heartache with a bad procedure than being bald in the first place, so get it done right the first time. People come on here and are pretty set on a doctor they have chosen based on diplomas on the wall, personality, or advertising. We are all here to help and have seen and witnessed those who are set and don't want to listen to what is said on this and other forums. And then they have to deal with years of trying to reverse the damage done. I don't mean to scare you, but this is not a small decision to make (as I am sure you know). Remember the first thing people look at when they meet you is your face and your head and a bad job will look worse than you balding.

Just a few words of warning.

Ok, some of my tips:

Pre-op: No alcohol or smoking at least one week prior. Meet with the doc the day before to do a pre-op consult--not necessary but helps with setting up a plan. Wear and bring button down shirts (don't want to pull the shirt over the head and dislodge the grafts). Drink lots of water.

Post-op: No smoking, Drink lots of water, grocery shop and run all your errands before you leave for surgery. Get some loose fitting hats. Get baby shampoo, MSM, aloe vera, vitamin e oil, and multivitamin. Relax and take at least two weeks off.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Originally posted by DeDom:

No advices, Petro - sorry. We just like to have some privacy. :-)

icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Eman:

I put some tips from spex. click on the link if you haven't already. He pretty much lists them all.

First and foremost choose a top doc (preferably one from the coalition). You have a limited donor and once it's gone, it's gone and there is nothing you can do to replenish it. So use it wisely, which goes back to choosing a top doc. And don't let geography dictate who you choose.

There will be more heartache with a bad procedure than being bald in the first place, so get it done right the first time. People come on here and are pretty set on a doctor they have chosen based on diplomas on the wall, personality, or advertising. We are all here to help and have seen and witnessed those who are set and don't want to listen to what is said on this and other forums. And then they have to deal with years of trying to reverse the damage done. I don't mean to scare you, but this is not a small decision to make (as I am sure you know). Remember the first thing people look at when they meet you is your face and your head and a bad job will look worse than you balding.

Just a few words of warning.

Ok, some of my tips:

Pre-op: No alcohol or smoking at least one week prior. Meet with the doc the day before to do a pre-op consult--not necessary but helps with setting up a plan. Wear and bring button down shirts (don't want to pull the shirt over the head and dislodge the grafts). Drink lots of water.

Post-op: No smoking, Drink lots of water, grocery shop and run all your errands before you leave for surgery. Get some loose fitting hats. Get baby shampoo, MSM, aloe vera, vitamin e oil, and multivitamin. Relax and take at least two weeks off.

Thank you Eman

Petro_P,

Best of luck with your procedure. I have found that eman's advice is always good.

One additional comment, particularly since you are very private (I can relate since I am the same): If you have to go back to work after the procedure (particularly without a hat) think about how much time you want to take off before going back. I took a conservative approach with my procedure and have some native hair to help cover and took three weeks off. I should be ok but would have taken four weeks if I could have got it approved.

If you have other specific questions, let us know.

Originally posted by new2thissite:

If you have to go back to work after the procedure (particularly without a hat) think about how much time you want to take off before going back. I took a conservative approach with my procedure and have some native hair to help cover and took three weeks off. I should be ok but would have taken four weeks if I could have got it approved.

If you have other specific questions, let us know.

thank you new2thissite. I am taking 5 weeks off icon_smile.gif