Acne on Receding Hairline - Why?

Big Jack

Anyone notice scalp acne and a receding hairline? I have noticed for several months that acne is along the hairline and tracks where the hair line is receding. I am 34, and don't have any acne anywhere else. Anyone know if the two are linked, and if so, are there any remedies?

Big Jack,

From what I've read, Acne along the hairline can appear due to fatty acids and sebum that are naturally produced in the scalp; I don't know that there's any correlation between this and hairline recession. The condition is not uncommon in non-balding men/women, and shampoos designed to treat oily hair can help.

The other connection might simply be that you're inspecting the hairline a lot with your fingers: touching it, pushing it back to measure the recession, etc. I'd imagine all guys start to do this once they begin losing. Dirt and oils can accumulate inside a hat if you've been regularly wearing one, too. Neither of these behaviors will cause hair loss though, just possibly accompany it.

This is all speculation on my part, so speaking with a dermatologist is probably the way to go.

Best,

Anthony (youngsuccess)

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

• Moderators

Nizoral shampoo should help this.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.