Hair transplant growth after one month... possible?

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to join today. My question is...

I just had a FUT procedure on 7/2/13 (2700 grafts around my hairline and temples). I'm familiar with the timeline of typical hair growth after a transplant procedure, but I swear I'm seeing a few hairs sprout already where there were none before and the transplanted hairs have already shed. Could it be just the rogaine reactivating miniaturized follicles? I've only been using rogaine 2% for about 3 weeks now.

By the way, my hair story is below:

I am an African American female that has been progressively losing my hairline for years as a result of chemical product use and tension hairstyles. It's always been a great source of insecurity for me, as I am in the public eye quite often for my line of work, and in recent years it's made me incredibly sad. I have a full head of long hair other than my hairline, and I just yearned for the front of my hair to look just as healthy. I started researching my options and was surprised to learn in the past year that hair transplantation was an option for African Americans. After stopping my chemical product use a couple of years ago, ceasing to style my hair in unhealthy ways, trying many home remedies, and finally getting my better half on board (although he remained skeptical until meeting the doctor on "surgery day"), I decided to fix my issue once and for all with a procedure done by Dr. Diep on 7/2/13. I had 2700 grafts transplanted via the strip method. I'm only a little over a month in, so all of the transplanted hair has shed, and it's just a waiting game at this point; but even in these early stages, I am very happy about my decision, and I eagerly anticipate my results. My donor scar healed so well that I actually have to search for it. I feel confident that Dr. Diep's work will yield excellent results. I'm now using Rogaine for women and massaging my scalp twice weekly with natural essential oils to help the process along. I've been lurking here for a while and I appreciate everyone's stories and input so much, so I decided to join.

Welcome and congratulations! Dr. Diep delivers some amazing results!

As for your hair growth, I'd be inclined to say that it's just not possible after only 3 weeks on Rogaine. But, when it comes to biology, I never say never.

I hope you'll share some surgical pics with us soon. Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Welcome and congratulations! Dr. Diep delivers some amazing results!

As for your hair growth, I'd be inclined to say that it's just not possible after only 3 weeks on Rogaine. But, when it comes to biology, I never say never.

I hope you'll share some surgical pics with us soon. Best of luck!

Thank you David! Glad to be here... I now wonder if the Rogaine is working on my existing follicles that were perhaps inactive before, or the transplanted follicles, even though they're supposed to be resting.