Please advise on inflamed scalp with bumps and spots

After three weeks post HT (with Ron Shapiro) my scalp is quite inflamed and I have an increasing selection of sore bumps and small spots, although these are mostly outside of the transplant area. I think I have a fairly sensitive scalp generally so am not surprised that I’m getting some reaction now as I have had similar bumps/spots before. My head is quite itchy and I’m wondering how best to treat it. SMG have advised me to visit a dermatologist and I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. I have started using conditioner as I feel this moistens the scalp which may help. I have some Nizoral shampoo and wondered whether this could be useful, although perhaps this is too strong to use at present. I hope to start Rogaine foam as I believe that now – 3 weeks post op – is the recommended time to start using it, but thought it may be best to wait to my scalp feels less inflamed and sore.

I hope my GP sends me to a dermatologist for expert attention, but he may give me some over-the-counter coal-tar remedy which may not be effective or perhaps too strong and therefore potentially damaging to me new grafts. Anyone had similar problems? I'd appreciate some advice as this problem looks set to get worse.

• 1 month later...

I have dealt with condition for over 10 years and have seen many dermatologists who always prescribed topical steroids and antibiotics. This always gave me temporary relief, and never a solution. This condition may be demodex mites. What has worked for me was tea tree oil, metronidazole gel, and topical steroids. I usually use tea tree oil every night before bed for 1 week (tea treat oil can be very drying and make your scalp peel but that is OK), week 2 I used topical steroid every night to heal my scalp from the dryness. Week 3 metronidazole gel. Lastly, you can do week 4 with topical steroids again if you want. Tea tree oil and metroinidazole kill demodex mites. You may have to do this one more time because the eggs usually take a few weeks to hatch and you are only initially killing the adults. The red bumps and scales are the mites burrowing inside the hair follicles searching for sebum.

This remedy has worked amazing for me. All product can be purchased online.