Sun question 4 months out!!

I'm 4 months post op and just my luck the weather here in the uk is very hot the last couple of days, iv been wearing a hat and trying to keep in the shade when ever I havnt got one on , no longer than 60 seconds in the sun, if any longer I'm using factor 50 on my head as its shaved right down to a grade 1. I'm going to a horse racing event and am planning on spending all day in the shade but will probably be spending periods of say 5 minutes exposed to the sun, ill wear a factor 50 sun Cyrene but do you think that's enough? Like I said I'm 4 months post op and can't wear a hat to this event, but should the short periods of time be ok??

Maybe best to ask your hair surgeons advice. It seems to greatly differ from person to person. I asked the same question to the 3 surgeons who i have used and got a range of weeks to months and even nearly a year !

I'm currently one month post-HT and living in Texas, so as you can imagine there's absolutely no avoiding the sun this time of year!

I mostly depend on the safety afforded by hats, but I think limited sun exposure is probably okay - most of what I've read about the damaging effects on sun/UV on transplanted hair involves actual sunburn. As long as you limit exposure to 15-20 minutes at a time and stay in the shade when possible, you'll probably be fine.

I waited 6 months until sun exposure. I have had the luxury of being able to wear a hat everyday if I want to. Some surgeons recommend less than 6 months, others more, I just followed what my doctor told me to do.

I can't see how sun exposure will harm grafts after the cuts on the recipient has healed.I would think that healthy sun exposure might even help growth because of increased blood flow to the scalp?

I could be completely wrong:-)

Thanks for the responses guys!!! I applied factor 50, stayed in the shade for 90% of the day and any time I was nt in the shade I wore a cap!!! Looked like a proper idiot I. A shirt & tie with a cap on but iv invested too much in this to risk anything, so looking an idiot for a day is alot better than jeopardising something that's life changing!!! There's always next year, where I will be sporting a smile and an Afro hopefully!!!

I can't see how sun exposure will harm grafts after the cuts on the recipient has healed.I would think that healthy sun exposure might even help growth because of increased blood flow to the scalp?

I could be completely wrong:-)

It's the UV radiation. When you get a sunburn the reason that your skin becomes red and inflamed is because of immune system activity disposing the cells that have undergone programmed cell death due to damage from UV radiation. Some people have exposed their head to the sun earlier without any problems, however if you are going to spend the time, energy and money that is put into a HT I would take every precaution possible to ensure the best results possible.