sports after FUT

Hi guys,

just a question for those of you that had fut surgery.

I am at 6 weeks post and had around 4500 grafts.

and what i am wondering is when you can start playing sports such as

basketball running and doing some biking. i am experiencing a little bit of tightness but mainly i am afraid to exert myself in fear of stretching the donor scar. I really want to start getting active again but this is a big concern for me.

i know you can do light stuff right away but playing basketball can be pretty intense exercise.

can anyone comment on when it would be safe for me return to these activities?

i am going to hold off on weight lifting for another 2 months at least.

thanks guys.

People overthink this stuff too much. My post-op instructions say that you can return to activities, including lifting, 7 days after operation. I personally took it easy until my stitches were out, but picked right back up from there. Did this for 2 HT's.

and i am assuming everything was ok?

i would like to err on the side of caution even though im planning to have another procedure for my crown so this scar would be cut out anyways, but id like to be able to cut my hair down to 4 in the meantime.

thanks for your reply!

georgecontanza,

What you really want to do in the early stages of wound hearing after a hair transplant is avoid touching your chin to your chest or any similar activity that might put too much strain on the scar.

This blog by Dr. Scott Alexander is obviously related to weight lifting but he does address the scalp stretching here as well.

How Soon after Hair Transplant Surgery Can I Lift Weights?

I agree that it's better to err on the side of caution.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I think a good rule of thumb is after a month you can resume light workouts and then after three months you can pretty much get back on the weights and just pay attention to any feeling of pulling on the scar.

People overthink this stuff too much. My post-op instructions say that you can return to activities, including lifting, 7 days after operation. I personally took it easy until my stitches were out, but picked right back up from there. Did this for 2 HT's.

And what does your scar look like now?

I would agree with the rest of the posters and advise you to wait at least 3 months to do any intense weight lifting. Keep things pretty mild and allow the wound to heal properly. Every one is different though so there is no set amount. But "7 days post op" is pretty irresponsible to be telling a patient in my experience.