Rogaine Foam and Scaly Scalp

Hi Guys,

Been using Rogaine foam for the last 12 months with ok results. Definitely no regrowth but at least a stabilisation of loss.

Problem is, I now have an itchy and scaly scalp.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you deal with it?

I am approaching a possible surgery date with a well known surgeon on this forum and am concerned that the results may be affected by my scaly scalp.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks,

AGW

Sometimes doctors will recommended using it once a day instead of twice if you're sensitive to it. Did you consider Propecia as well? This will create even more stability and help you use Minoxidil just once a day...so you fight it orally and topically.

Best of luck!

Thanks GreatPelo, I cannot tolerate Propecia (I did try) but it doesnt work for me. Also, I am only using once per day.

Anyone got any experience with dealing with the scaly/itchy issue?

• 2 weeks later...

We typically see in our office patients with Itchy and Scaly scalp who have Seborrheic Dermatitis and or Psoriasis. For our patients with this diagnosis we typically treat with prescription strength shampoo and or topical steroids. For some patients we recommend OTC shampoos like Nizoral or Selsun blue. Generally speaking of Seborrheic Dermaitis should not affect Hair Transplant results. A good proper scalp examination is recommended and we do see alot of scalp skin cancers in our practice.

Senta

*I am a Medical Assistant at Jupiter Dermatology & Hair Restoration. Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions :)

Dr. Ricardo Mejia is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network.