Why are multiple procedures necessary?

I am in the process of choosing a surgeon for my hair transplant.I was curious as to why multiple procedures are necessary,as opposed to doing the front ,middle and back at once.I have been advised to do the front first,then fill in to make it thicker,then see about a third procedure for the back.I do understand the donor area is limited,as i have very fine hair,and am a NW 5.

Thank You :)

[/url]

It is very possible that the clinic you consulted with is not capable of performing a large enough single sessions to meet your expectations. There really aren't very many clinics capable of performing single session procedures to restore a patient with your level of loss. And there is also the possibility that due to your situation you may not be a suitible candidate for a megasession. I will assume that you are talking about a strip procedure, please correct me if I am wrong, and there are certain physiological factors that will determine how many grafts can be transplanted in a single session, namely scalp laxity and hair density. Very fortunate patients who have very good laxity and density are able to extract a very high number of grafts from a single procedure, whereas other less fortunate patients must undergo several treatments to achieve the same results. Honestly most HT patients undergo multiple procedures because hairloss is a progressive condition. I am not sure who you have consulted with, but if your goal is to achieve the biggest impact with a single procedure I suggest you consult with Hasson & Wong and Dr. Rahal if you are in North America and if you from outside NA I'm sure other members can help you out because I am not very familiar with those doctors capabilities. Bottom line, if you are seriously considering a HT you are in the right place, there is a lot of experience here and the best doctors in the world are represented here do a lot of research and make sure you know what you are getting into.

Great info from GreatJob...also...if we harvest a certain amount of grafts and spread them through a large area, we may not have much density throughout. Where as if we first transplant them in front/mid area, we get a greater density result....then consider covering crown area with another procedure. But the fact that hair loss if progressive, most patients will have more than one procedure anyways down the road.

Best of luck!

The problem with your case is that you have fine hair, are advanced hair loss, and have low density and laxity. You may never get results that you aim for. Hasson and Wong have great mega sessions that you may want to look into Rahal also does great work, as has been previously noted. They are also fairly reasonable in their prices compared to other clinics and offer superior superior results in my opinion. Definitely check them out.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily