Still wearing your hat after a hairtransplant?

80zHair

how many of you still wear a hat when you go out since getting a transplant?

its been 12 years for me,

i mean, why show off a bunch of scars and redness..

or the lower positioned hairline that was drawn on using the physicians artistic touch before he walked away room without allowing the patient to first examine it to make sure it isnt lower than it naturally used to be.

or the overmedication of the numbing agent in stuff used so you now have 50% feeling left for your duration on this planet, a feeling thats made me use my hands sometimes to check if i actually put a hat on.

or the bad stitching on one side of the donor area because the person removing the stitches felt a open meaty scar is acceptable for life.

or the giant monster zits that form all about the transplant area that leave you looking like you got beaten up by a angry gang of pencils

or the pubic hair like hairs that grow on the head that are nothing like your original straight looking hair, so you pull those ones out because they are coarse and never blend in and you find yourself making inspections for those a part of your daily chore.

you try to comb alot of em down flat but that seems to be a time expense you will grow used to, over time.

how many restaurants and establishments do you know avoid because they dont allow hats?

mix that with knowing its supposed to cost a tiny fortune just to undo a profitable though bad transplant, while living on a pain related disability pension that cant heat half the house or fill half the fridge, and a new form of depression/frustration is to be expected

life is not always like it appears on the brosure.

lets hear from others dealing with these things about this because i know i'm not alone, only just living in isolation.

it sounds cynical reading everything i wrote above, but my personality is a upbeat one and hope those reading this are able to understand this.

humbly waiting for solutions,

80zHair

thankyou for the reply

ya thats the dr.

hope i dont get sued for mentioning his name.

when i called back his office a couple years after i was asked to come back again, but not so sure i can trust the same person twice about fixing the damage. and my pockets are kinda shallow rather than deep enough. ideally he would cover the cost to just make it look like surgery never happened, though we all know its not a perfect world, a perfectly profitable one might be a more accurate observation.

thankyou for the reply

ya thats the dr.

hope i dont get sued for mentioning his name.

when i called back his office a couple years after i was asked to come back again, but not so sure i can trust the same person twice about fixing the damage. and my pockets are kinda shallow rather than deep enough. ideally he would cover the cost to just make it look like surgery never happened, though we all know its not a perfect world, a perfectly profitable one might be a more accurate observation.

Go to Ron Shapiro. He is great with Repairs. Or Hasson/Wong.

When you says scars... Are you talking about strips scars, or scars where the grafts were placed? Hair from the back of your head will tend to be more coarse than from the front. The hair will have a thicker caliber. Good surgeons often will choose the finest hairs out of the lot for the front, but that's pretty much the way it is. Also if you have too much scarring, the hairs don't grow in correctly and they end up being crooked and crinkly. That is because the hairs are growing through scar tissue. Also sounds like you have some poorly angled grafts which are common. Needing more than one surgery to get where you want to be is not uncommon. I have had five and while some of it was for progressing hair loss, others were for correction. Not sure why you would have redness. That should be gone at a year tops. Have you had flaps or other surgeries done? Do you have multiple strip scars?

All hope is not lost... People have come back from horrible transplants to have awesome heads of hair. Armani is a huge rip off... like 10+ a graft. I can't believe I once dreamed he would be my surgeon some day. You can go to Ron Shapiro (SMG) or Victor Hasson (Hasson/Wong) for $5 or so a graft. These guys are tops in the world. Granted its strip, but sounds like you already have a strip scar so not a lot of benefit to FUE after that.

Wearing a hat for 12 years - that's a prison man. That is no way to live. Spend the money with one of the world's best surgeons and get it fixed. In your situation, it only makes sense. Going back to Armani would just be craziness. Even if it was free, I wouldn't do it.

I'll make your search simple (Ron Shapiro, Victor Hasson, Bisanga, Feriduni, Lorezno)... Just pick one and you one of the best in the world. Do your research of course :), but wish I'd known about these guys when I started.

Best of luck man. I know what it's like to be self conscious about your hair. I tell people all the time to avoid transplants unless you really really hate being bald. People never listen though. ;)

Let's get you fixed up!

Why do you tell ppl to avoid hair transplants? Im curious, If money isn't an issue ofcource

Well, I don't tell people to avoid them per se. I tell people not to get them unless they really really hate being bald. I would recommend to anyone considering one to shave their head for awhile and see how they feel about it. If they feel they have an ugly head and are very unhappy about it, then maybe they should investigate and see if they are a candidate.

Otherwise, it's just not worth it. If your result isn't totally natural you will have to worry about it every single time you talk to someone. You will have to worry about what people say behind your back and you will have to worry about swimming and your scar showing (you may get a wide scar), the cost, continued hair loss, relationships and explaining it to them, and so on.

A lot of people look worse after transplants... That's a fact. Maybe they don't care what the opposite sex (or same in some cases) thinks, but often we think transplants look better than they really do. Some people look absolutely horrible. This site is full of hair transplant fans pretty much, so pretty much assume you are getting the top percent of people that are happy. Look all of the net and you get a clearer picture of the horror that can happen.

This guy for example (bless his heart) has lived in a prison for 12 years. He could have shaved his head and felt like a man without a hat on. Now he has to get a transplant just to feel normal. Hopefully he can get the right surgeon and maybe he will be way happier than even before his first transplant. It can change your life for the better, but you have to be really sure it's worth the risks involved.

At least up your chances by saving your money and choosing the best surgeon possible.

thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the forum ,im sorry your 1st hairtransplant wasnt a success, there is always hope and a way toimprove your situation, your not alone , you can navigate this forum and research whats the best way to move forward, there are plenty of guys that have been repaired after having a bad transplant, jotronic and garageland are two repair patients from hasson and wong , and from SMG there is bullitnut, that come to mind , good luck and try to stay positive,

As I sit here 2 days away from reaching the 10th month mark, my results so far are excellent and my hairline is a million times better than it was 10 months ago.

You can never speak for the future of course - maybe it'll all go wrong and turn out to be a mistake - but right now that doesn't look likely.

If I'd read your post before, I may not have had my HT. I'd still have a terrible hairline and be worrying about it all the time...

neither success nor failure are guaranteed. There are risks and you have to weigh them up.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

As I sit here 2 days away from reaching the 10th month mark, my results so far are excellent and my hairline is a million times better than it was 10 months ago.

You can never speak for the future of course - maybe it'll all go wrong and turn out to be a mistake - but right now that doesn't look likely.

If I'd read your post before, I may not have had my HT. I'd still have a terrible hairline and be worrying about it all the time...

neither success nor failure are guaranteed. There are risks and you have to weigh them up.

yeah long term is key. It's chasing the progressive hairloss where things can sometimes start to look unnatural, get costly, add increased risk with additional surgeries, etc. After my first and second surgeries I was pretty happy. The third really messed me up a bit although I couldn't even tell until I looked at old photos and I was like dang that didn't look as good as I thought and I needed a fourth to fix that one. My fifth had to fix a few things from my fourth although a big improvement was obtained by it and now I have a sixth with Ron Shapiro coming up. I am fairly happy now although I want to fix my right temple a bit and add more density to the corners. It is quite a journey. I've been at this over 10 years now.

I also have a wide scar that revising hasn't helped. I plan to put hair into it at some point. Wide scars are very stressful because you have to worry about swimming and cutting your hair too short, fighting mma if you do that kind of thing like me, etc. Also it is not surprising that you are happy with your decision and really you answered my question beforehand.. You said you had a hairline that you were really unhappy with and the idea of being stuck with that made you really unhappy so you weighed the risk and decided it was worth it for you. Some people don't weigh the risks and they think it's a safe thing. The don't realize the stress that comes with it.

First of all anyone that goes to a random surgeon is just asking for a horrible result in my opinion. It's the same when people get nose jobs - a lot of them end up with whacked noses. It's a risk they task and sometimes the risk isn't worth. I've seen nose jobs go bad from the best surgeons. I've seen every surgery go bad.

Let's take your transplant for example... Perhaps some aspect of it doesn't come out quite right... Maybe someone notices you had a transplant... Now it's on your mind anytime you interact with someone. We have to be honest with the stigma that comes with transplants. It makes people feel awkward just looking at them. Who wants to know they make others feel awkward. It's nowhere as accepted as breast implants or something like that. Everyone is different too. I was married for years and had multiple surgeries and my wife didn't even know I had one until I told her and she was surprised, although my second wife was able to figure it out quickly because she had known friends who had them. Eventually I told her anyway what she already figured out.

But you went with a great surgeon and sounds like things worked out well for you. I am happy I got my surgeries. I have a huge head and looked ugly with it shaved. It was worth the risk for me and I love having hair I can style however I want.

You think smp wouldn't help? If you go swimming you could prob still see it even with smp

I just have to keep my hair longer. I can't go anything shorter than an 8-guard. As I've gotten older I start to care about it showing less and my wife says she never sees it when it's wet but I've seen part of it stick out before, so anyways.

As far as SMP, I've just seen so many people get SMP then go and put hair into it anyway because they weren't happy with it. Also SMP can change to green or blue and also if you ever wanted to dye your hair blond or something it wouldn't match. Also we don't really know long term what will happen with SMP. A lot of the photos i've seen of it are really lame. There was one just posted. I think it's pointless unless you just make the whole thing black or something whereas this was meant to look like hair. Looks real stupid to lift up your hair and see a bunch of dots. I'd almost rather it look white lol. Having it solid black makes more sense because if it shifts then it wouldn't be as visible as white. Ultimately I just want to put hair in it and may do a few hundred grafts in this upcoming surgery.

It was probably 6 months after my HT that I "shed" the ballcap. Now, I wear one if my hair doesn't get washed for a day or two. Really, I love the improvement I got. Numbness is virtually all gone, the scar is unnoticeable and my confidence is way up. I am going in on Wednesday for my second and final HT, to give me a bit more fill. Sorry to hear about your problems- it might have made me worry a bit. My Doc did a fantastic job. It can definitely be done correctly.

Every case is different. But to answer your question honestly....yes, I do find myself wearing a hat significantly more after my hair transplant. I mostly do this because my results were thin and by wearing a hat it mashes my hair down and then when I take it off it doesn't look as bad.

As far as swimming goes it could reveal a scar, but I keep my hair longer now so it is unlikely. Swimming makes my frontal area look pretty bad though depending on how my hair lays after I get it wet.

With someone who had great results and everything went right I don't think hats and swimming ect are really much of a concern.