Hair addition to hair line

saag

Hi All,

I have been a long time lurker of this great forum. I am currently a Norwood 3 and have been using propecia/minoxidil for the last 5 years. I continued losing hair and now it is very much noticeable. I wanted to know if I can get some (non-surgical) hair-piece just for my hairline. Also, what kind of procedure would be the best (I don't mind a contract!!)? I want something which is more like semi-permanent so that I don't need to bother about it for a month or so.

saag,

You can get a frontal piece.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Hi Chris,

Can you please educate me on the following questions:

(1) When you opt for a frontal piece, can you attach it so that you can wear it for weeks together without removing (kind of semi-permanent thing)?

(2) Will it be noticeable in wind/water?

(3) How do you maintain it for cleanliness/hygiene?

wish i could help, but it seems like no one can help you. anyways, we also await replies on this.

Saag posted this query on another forum. Below is my answer to his post.

What you are asking for is what is known as a "front partial." A typical hairpiece has a front, top, back, left and right side. You only want a "front."

If you do searches at the various hair system forums on the internet for the word "partial" you should get a few hits.

A few comments and suggestions.....

1. Partials can be created. I created one for myself about 3 years ago. But not for the same purpose that you have expressed. I like to touch up (ventilate) my hairpieces with additional hair as needed. Every hair piece looses hair. I try to keep my pieces at a consistent density. However, 3 years ago, I experienced a large tear in the lace near the hairline. Repairing the tear would have created a noticeable defect at the hairline. I decided to experiment with a "partial." I took a piece of new lace, drew a crescent shaped wedge on the lace that conformed to the desired hairline, ventilated the lace with hair, performed the usual knot bleaching and knot sealing rituals, and

then attached it to the hairpiece. Trimmed the excess lace. New front hairline completed! The only difference between what I did and what you want to do is that I created and positioned a partial to match a hairpiece. You want to create and position a partial to match your own hair.

2. The are many online resellers of hairpieces. A few that come to mind are Toplace, Hairpiecewarehouse, Northwestlace, Coolpiece, HairDirect. I am not endorsing one over the other.

In fact I have only used one of the above firms and that was over 5 years ago. However, all have lots of users of their pieces. Write to each one and ask for their suggestions.

DO NOT go anywhere that requires a contract!

3. One suggestion to consider.....buy a regular hair piece. Typically a piece will be about 8" long and 6" wide. You could cut many crescent shaped wedges out of a single hairpiece. One hairpiece could last you for 1 or 2 years. But, you will need to modify your specs. A typical hairpiece is ventilated at a lower density near the hairline in order to create a more natural result. You need to determine what density would work for you at the hairline. Then order a piece with the same density everywhere.....no tapering at the hairline. Also,

you will need a decent color match. I would suggest a color that is perhaps 10 to 15% lighter than your hair. A slightly lighter shade at the hairline is more natural.

4. Cut a wedge to the appropriate size from the hairpiece and cut the hair to a length that matches your own hair. Cut more wedges later as needed.

5. Your next challenge will be attachment. I do not think tape is an option. You will have to use a glue adhesive. Another learning curve.

6. One month attachments might work. Perhaps you will have to do more frequent attachments.

If any of the firms you contact tell you that what I have suggested is not feasible please ask for an explanation. Let me know what they say. I know that it is possible.

Hi Lace,

Thanks for the excellent explanation.

Few more questions:

(1) Is it better to shave of the head top completely and go for a hair piece? Or one should play with front partials before jumping into something that drastic? What are pros and cons of both approaches?

(2) Who all will know for sure that you are wearing a hair piece if it is a good one? Your wife, kids and hair-stylist. Anyone else?

Hi Lace,

Thanks for the excellent explanation.

Few more questions:

(1) Is it better to shave of the head top completely and go for a hair piece? Or one should play with front partials before jumping into something that drastic? What are pros and cons of both approaches?

(2) Who all will know for sure that you are wearing a hair piece if it is a good one? Your wife, kids and hair-stylist. Anyone else?

Greetings,

Question 1....I would never suggest that someone shave their head unless they had a very convincing reason to do so. In your case all I know from what you have written is that you describe yourself as a "norwood 3 and that you are loosing hair." Until about 4 days ago when I stumbled upon this website I had never heard such terminology (norwood). I assume it's useful in the hair transplant/prescription remedies market. So....I have more questions for you:

1. Imagine when you had a full head of hair (early teen years?). Your hairline started at a point x number of inches above the bridge of your nose directly between your eyes. Where does it start now? (how much recession?)

2. Assuming the hair density at the hairline was 100% when you had a all your hair, what is your best guess about the current density?

Question 2.....no way to answer this one. You will not know until you do it. When I first tried a hairpiece (the 8" X 6 " variety) this is my experience(s) with your question.

A. Had lunch with a friend I had known for almost 20 years. A couple hours later after lunch as we were saying good-bye she said...."you look good..." I replied that I was working out hard everyday, eating well, and staying healthy. Life is good. End of discussion. She never mentioned anything about hair then or since.

B. Met another friend for dinner that I had know for about 7 years. About 1/2 hour into dinner she said....."you look different...." I replied that I was working out hard everyday, eating well, and staying healthy. Again...end of discussion. Nothing ever mentioned again.

C. Another friend for dinner....She commented that "you have a different hair style....looks good." I replied..."different hair stylist, touched up a few grey hairs." Again...end of discussion. Nothing ever mentioned again.

D. Other friends.......no one has ever said a thing. Zip, zero!!

You may have a different experience.

More importantly...WHO CARES!! Will your life end? Will your doctor suddenly inform you that you have only 3 months to live? Will you get run over by a truck?

Ideally I would like to also see some pics of your hairline. Nothing special. Just something that will give a general idea of your issues.

I am assuming that what you have in mind is a partial that is perhaps 1/2" wide....perhaps up to 1" wide. As I wrote before, it can be done. But, hard to speculate at this point as to the likelihood of success without more info.

Regards