Propecia shed

JacquesBrian

First post here ya'lls. How ya doing?

So basically, I started generic Fin about 5 weeks ago, with plenty of research on the infamous INITIAL SHED. That's fine, I'm being as patient as I can be. My concern here has another leg to it - When I started Propecia, I also began a 5% minoxidil with it. After about two weeks of a very irritating reaction to the minoxidil (and a swollen gland), I decided to stop the minoxidil and continue Propecia by itself.

About the same time I stopped the Minox (2 week mark), I noticed a slight increase of shedding, which I understand is a normal side from Propecia. My worry is that I did this to myself or *poisoned* my scalp in those 2 weeks from the minox, and now the hairs may not come back. I guess at this point, it shouldn't matter, because I am going to stick with propecia no matter what, for at least 12 months.

If someone could shed some light on this, it'd really calm me down. Did I destroy hair follicles by starting Minox and stopping after 2 weeks? Or is it just a typical onset Propecia shed? I don't want to blame myself, which is stupid. The only wild card is that I've noticed shedding in my V shape hairline, which wasn't bad from the beginning. I was aiming more for the vertex.

Anyway. Any words are much appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Jac

I guess you're right.

When you first start on a regime, you can get carried away with superstitions and "should have's".

It's just strange to see my receeding V going so quickly. Supposedly, these hairs are just shedding from their dormant phase and should come back?

Bottom line is, I will stick this out for a full year. I am considering going from 1mg to .5. Is there any danger in that? I saw a chart showing that even at .5mg, the DHT inhibited is just about the same as 1mg

But why would you go to a lower dose? Are you suffering side effects that have not dissipated?

People on these forums are like "Oh I'll take every other day and it'll be just as effective", and there is no clinical backing for that. Systemic DHT inhibition is not the goal of this medication, what is more important is inhibition of the 5ar2 isozyme at the hair follicle, and we don't know that 0.5mg is as effective in treating hair loss.

Long story short, if you're not feeling anything, just keep the regular dosage, there is a tendency to "want to do something" when you just need to be patient. Best of luck!