does mild psoriasis stopping transplanted hair regrowth?

Hi everyone,

In early February I had my FUT surgery with a respected surgeon receiving approx 2900 hairs to the front of my receding hairline. I've seen some great results on this forum by this doctor and felt that my transplant went very well.

I'm just starting to worry because i am at the end of week 11 since the surgery and can see only at very best 100 transplanted hairs that are coming up. The majority of my transplanted hair fell out in week 6 since my surgery which means 5 weeks have passed since the hair has fallen out. Do transplanted hairs grow at different rates or if I'm seeing some hairs that have grown to 1-1.5cm already should I have expected to see signs of all the hairs coming through?

Additionally I have been getting very dry scalp patches and some yellowish scabby buildup in patches of the transplanted area. I'm really worried that this is stopping the hair from regrowing. I have had this condition in the past but have usually been able to keep it at bay with regular use of Nizoral shampoo but at the momment it is not going away.

I know this forum gets a lot of posts from worried patients post surgery who are impatient with their hair growth but I'm worried it is my scalp condition that may stop the hairs from ever growing. I've seen patients with a lit more regrowth by this stage.

Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated.

Tom

Edited by tommyferdi

I was told that mild psoriasis shouldn't make a difference. I had FUT with 1300 grafts nearly 4 months ago but i have not seen one hair grow in. Not one. So, like yourself, I'm nervous. I don't have much flakeyness now (i used to but controlled it with nizoril shampoo as well). Many have told me to sit tight and be patient - i heard from one person that saw no growth until the 6th month and eventually got solid results - like yourself, i try and be patient but it is difficult.

I have psoriasis as well and had a procedure about 5 1/2 months ago for 4100 grafts fut. Your time lines are fine. I had the same worries you did as I didn't see any growth, but it takes 3-5 months to see anything for normal people as it was explained to me. I have growth now. I would go to the dermatologist and get your breakout under control though.

Hi everyone,

In early February I had my FUT surgery with a respected surgeon receiving approx 2900 hairs to the front of my receding hairline. I've seen some great results on this forum by this doctor and felt that my transplant went very well.

I'm just starting to worry because i am at the end of week 11 since the surgery and can see only at very best 100 transplanted hairs that are coming up. The majority of my transplanted hair fell out in week 6 since my surgery which means 5 weeks have passed since the hair has fallen out. Do transplanted hairs grow at different rates or if I'm seeing some hairs that have grown to 1-1.5cm already should I have expected to see signs of all the hairs coming through?

Additionally I have been getting very dry scalp patches and some yellowish scabby buildup in patches of the transplanted area. I'm really worried that this is stopping the hair from regrowing. I have had this condition in the past but have usually been able to keep it at bay with regular use of Nizoral shampoo but at the momment it is not going away.

I know this forum gets a lot of posts from worried patients post surgery who are impatient with their hair growth but I'm worried it is my scalp condition that may stop the hairs from ever growing. I've seen patients with a lit more regrowth by this stage.

Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated.

Tom

Hello TommyFerdi,

The Psoraisis should not negatively effect your hair growth as it is an epidermal condition and not one toe directly effect the transplanted FUs. Of course if the concern is great and you are noting a negative reaction do not just rely on our responses in the forum but see your surgeon and follow his or hers instruction. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've looked into my scalp condition a bit more(on the internet) and it seems my symptoms look more like it could be something called craddle cap. I've never heard of craddle cap before now but the yellow flacky scabs look very similar to mine.. I'm going to see a dermatologist asap, I don't know why I never went to see one before.

Thomasc - that must be so frustrating not even seeing one hair, but I'm sure your time will come soon especially with the psoriasis under control. I too have read in some instances it taking up to 5-6 months. At what stage post surgery did you find your psoriasis flaring up? & how frequently are you washing with Nizoral?

gb83 - that sounds encouraging. I've booked a trip to Europe 7 1/2 months from my operation (4 months from now) and was really hoping to have some serious growth by then. Here's hoping.

Thanks Michael and gb83 for the dermatologist suggestion, definitely going to go see one.

Tom

I had some flakeyness two weeks after surgery. I'm in the northeast though and it was January - very dry cold. Not unusual. It only lasted 10 days. I use nizoral about once every two weeks. It's totally under control though the area where the transplants went in still have some redness - not noticeable unless you really look but if you do look, you see it. It will be 4 months for me in one week and I'd love to see something poking up there. Before your growth started, did it bubble or give you some indication that it was coming in?

Before your growth started, did it bubble or give you some indication that it was coming in?

No indication at all. I look at my scalp closely in the mirror every day and just started to see little brown hairs poking through. They look darker and stronger than the existing frontal hair. Most of the few hairs that have started to come through have been on the very edge of the hairline.

I would of thought the majority of the hairs would all come though around the same time within 2-3 weeks of each, that's why I am worried, but I guess this is not the case.

Before your growth started, did it bubble or give you some indication that it was coming in?

No indication at all. I look at my scalp closely in the mirror every day and just started to see little brown hairs poking through. They look darker and stronger than the existing frontal hair. Most of the few hairs that have started to come through have been on the very edge of the hairline.

I would of thought the majority of the hairs would all come though around the same time within 2-3 weeks of eachother, that's why I am worried, but I guess this is not the case.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've looked into my scalp condition a bit more(on the internet) and it seems my symptoms look more like it could be something called craddle cap. I've never heard of craddle cap before now but the yellow flacky scabs look very similar to mine.. I'm going to see a dermatologist asap, I don't know why I never went to see one before.

Thomasc - that must be so frustrating not even seeing one hair, but I'm sure your time will come soon especially with the psoriasis under control. I too have read in some instances it taking up to 5-6 months. At what stage post surgery did you find your psoriasis flaring up? & how frequently are you washing with Nizoral?

gb83 - that sounds encouraging. I've booked a trip to Europe 7 1/2 months from my operation (4 months from now) and was really hoping to have some serious growth by then. Here's hoping.

Thanks Michael and gb83 for the dermatologist suggestion, definitely going to go see one.

Tom

Glad, we can be of help mate. Let us know how you make out with the dermatologist. As a parent very familiar with cradle cap in new born babies. A mild bacterial infection and dehydration can contribute to it. Also the baby's sensitivity to a cosmetic being used in it's care can be at the root of destroying the natural acid mantle of the scalp making it susceptible to forms of dermatitis. All the Best and keep us in the loop. Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum