Cronic Telogen Effluvium and 2nd HT

Hello all,

A breif history.... I have had 2 HT's, one 3 years ago and the other 10.5 months ago. The first HT was great and the 2nd was terrible with barley any growth. I went back to my doctor last week and had a scalp biopsy done and the results said that my scalp is in good shape but I might have Cronic TE or Early Androgenetic Alopecia. I know that I have male pattern baldness and I'm fine with that. My doctor is telling me that the reason I have had no growth for 10.5 months is because I'm in a Cronic Telogen Effluvium stage and need to wait it out. Has anybody ever heard of this or experienced it? He is also telling me that I should wait another year, 12 months before I get a second biopsy or HT. This does not make much sence to me, could all of my transplanted hair (1250 graphs) be sleeping for the last 10.5 months as well as the 20% of native hair I shed. I'm confussed, any help would be awesome. :(

Telogen effluvium is very real although it is a rare occurance. How old are you? TE usually hits younger men in their late teens and early to mid twenties that I have observed.

And yes, for most, the regrowth cycle does eventually manifest and can take on average 12, and up to 18 months to fulfill. TE invloves a mass shedding of one's scalp and even throughout the scalp. It can potentially appear as Alopecia Universal, again generalized thinning of hair mass/density. It can impact the donor zone as well. But in general terms, a large percent of the hair follicles have retreated into the resting (telogen) phase and subsequently the hair sheds with TE.

There is not much that can be done that I am aware of other than waiting it out as your doctor stated.

Be very careful about starting to apply various topicals or scalp invigorators to stimulate growth. IMHO, the best thing to do is to wait because in a large percent of the TE situations, it is temporary and after the follicles fulfill their cycling, they do re-enter the growth phase in their own timing.

Hang in there as hard as that can be! ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hello ecco007,

The others are advising you well. TE is a condition where the normal hair growth cycle do to some stressor has a large number of hair in the Teflogen stage. The body needs time to return homeostasis on it's own. This condition should be monitored by your doctor. Not what you probably wanted to hear, remain patient. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question with considerate honest commentary. Strangely enough I have been researching the effects of topical agents, like Minoxidil as a treatment for TE and have learned that most doctors think it’s a good idea since it stimulates the follicle, I have also read that I will most likely loss more hair in the interim before the Minoxidil starts to work it’s magic. I tend to agree with your approach and have put myself and a better diet and a vitamin regiment, being 46 I think a little extra assistance with my nutrition will help me pull out of this TE ordeal. The odd thing is that I did a pull test today on six different parts of my sclap. Three on top and three on the sides and back of my head. I managed to pull two to three hairs out of the sides and back of my head and seven to ten on the top of my head. Here's my question, does TE effect the whole scalp or a general area or do I just have early androgenetic alopecia? If this is the case and it is EAA why have I not seen any of my transplanted hair come in.

From what I have read and heard, TE usually impacts very young men and some women. I had no idea that you were 46 so possibly you do have the chronic form of TE. TE can hit younger men who do not have MPB but certainly can be a precursor to those who do have it.

And from my own observations, TE does impact the entire scalp with shedding and thinning. Alopecia aereata tends to show itself with a more patchy pattern of loss with blothches of loss in various locations of the scalp including the donor zone.

Many men who are HT patients have experienced what is known as seasonal shedding but for most, it is temporary.

I truly think that allowing your own body to recoup on its own timeclock is the best way for the hair follilces to begin their cycling patterns again.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all,

A breif history.... I have had 2 HT's, one 3 years ago and the other 10.5 months ago. The first HT was great and the 2nd was terrible with barley any growth. I went back to my doctor last week and had a scalp biopsy done and the results said that my scalp is in good shape but I might have Cronic TE or Early Androgenetic Alopecia. I know that I have male pattern baldness and I'm fine with that. My doctor is telling me that the reason I have had no growth for 10.5 months is because I'm in a Cronic Telogen Effluvium stage and need to wait it out. Has anybody ever heard of this or experienced it? He is also telling me that I should wait another year, 12 months before I get a second biopsy or HT. This does not make much sence to me, could all of my transplanted hair (1250 graphs) be sleeping for the last 10.5 months as well as the 20% of native hair I shed. I'm confussed, any help would be awesome. :(

Hi ecco007,

Sorry, for your complications. I do not have personal experience but am aware of some issues regarding TE. We are all so unique and the explanation you have been given is a reasonable one. The body constantly seeks homeostasis when its natural rhythms are interrupted (ie. surgery). It seems very reasonable to give your body more time if required to reset its normal growth cycle. You are taking the right steps having it monitored by your doctor. I recommend you continue with those efforts and seek a second qualified opinion if you have yet to do so.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum