On NeoGraft

A few responses to my latest posts have referenced my use of the NeoGraft machine. I wanted to take just a few minutes to address my use of NeoGraft. As many of people on this site know, NeoGraft is the American name of the Medicamat machine, which was developed in France with the lofty goal of making FUE extractions faster and with less transection. In Europe an un-licensed technician cannot use this machine, and it was not developed for this purpose.

The machine is a surgical tool, to be used by surgeons. That said, in my hands it accomplishes it's goal of increasing extraction speed and minimizing transection. This is the reason I use it daily.

I do understand the backlash against the use of the machine by un-licensed technicians under the "supervision" of physicians with little or no background in hair surgery. However, for a physician such as myself, who has performed hair restoration surgery for the past decade, I do not believe that the misuse of the machine by other physicians should prevent my proper use of the machine.

Absolutely agree doctor. Hence there still exists a problem in the industry of those doctors who are not qualified to use it who are letting technicians do the work. At the end of the day, like in any other industry involving any other product or service, it's the patient's final obligation to do his/her homework, ask the right questions, in order to make the best choice.

However the danger still exists for those patients who may not know any better....this should not exist....and I feel State medical boards will come down hard on this problem in order to protect patients.

My state, South Carolina, gave me problems getting a licensed Physicians Assistant (whom had completed medical school and passed all licensing exams) to expand her scope of practice to extract grafts. There is no way a state medical board will allow un-licensed techs perform this work. Each extraction is a medical decision in terms of depth, angle, and the concentration of extractions. This is a time limited issue and any patient whom has had unlicensed technicians extract grafts should report those physicians to their medical board by filing a simple complaint. Problem solved.

Couldn't agree with you more! Putting patients in a dangerous position in exchange for money is a major ethical violation and against the law. I've always said....although patients are a little "happy" under local anesthetics they still are very aware of their surroundings....who's in the room, who's answer his/her questions...how long has the surgeon spent with them. Sooner or later someone will complain...and It'll create a well-deserved backlash against unscrupulous doctors.