Finasteride losing effectiveness: up the dosage or get dutasteride?

JohnJohnB

I have been on finasteride for almost 9 years. For about 8 of those years I was taking 1mg per day but recently switched to 1.25 proscar.

I also just got an HT (you can see my blog here Hair Restoration Site for JohnJohnB)

The doctor noticed that i was starting some diffuse thinning on the top of my head. I think finasteride is finally starting to lose its potency for me. I am going to start using minoxidil 2x a day but am thinking about either upping my dose of finasteride to 3 or even 5mg per day or asking my doctor about dutasteride. This study talked about by Dr. Bernstein was enlightening. Dutasteride vs. Finasteride Male Hair Loss Propecia Avodart | Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration

So what do you think? Should I just wait it out or start being more aggressive with the drugs now while it still looks like I have a full head of hair on top?

Did the diffuse thinning coincide with the 0.25mg daily upgrade of finasteride?

If so, it may just be a normal shedding effect caused by the dosage increase.

Regimen:

Finasteride (1.25mg): Daily.

Minoxidil (5%): Twice Daily.

Super Biotin (5000mcg) Vitamin Supplement; Daily

Silica Complex; Daily

Did the diffuse thinning coincide with the 0.25mg daily upgrade of finasteride?

If so, it may just be a normal shedding effect caused by the dosage increase.

I doubt that. I started taking 1/4 of a proscar tab in February 2012. I just now a year later am noticing that I am starting to thing out all over, but mostly on the crown and the forelock. I think that the shedding would have started less than a year after upping .25mg

I remember reading somewhere that there can be a delayed response to shedding if dosage is increased for those who have developed a hormonal tolerance to prolonged finasteride use. Saying that though, there hasnt been any official clinical tests that I am aware of which confirm said findings.

If you DO decide to increase your daily finasteride intake, chances are you may have to wait even longer to see positive results.

As for Avodart, I have next to no knowledge other than clinical testing had proven successful prior to it being scrapped.

Good luck whatever you decide to do, John.

Calgacus.

Regimen:

Finasteride (1.25mg): Daily.

Minoxidil (5%): Twice Daily.

Super Biotin (5000mcg) Vitamin Supplement; Daily

Silica Complex; Daily

I remember reading somewhere that there can be a delayed response to shedding if dosage is increased for those who have developed a hormonal tolerance to prolonged finasteride use. Saying that though, there hasnt been any official clinical tests that I am aware of which confirm said findings.

If you DO decide to increase your daily finasteride intake, chances are you may have to wait even longer to see positive results.

As for Avodart, I have next to no knowledge other than clinical testing had proven successful prior to it being scrapped.

Good luck whatever you decide to do, John.

Calgacus.

Thanks Calgacus. For the time being I am going to start on Minoxidil 5% 2x daily once my HT wounds heal up. But if things continue to worsen i will definitely get more aggressive with the drugs.