Scabs

Hi!

One thing I've thought about is the significance of scabs. Most clinics urge their patients to try to remove scabs and shower to keep scabbing to a minimum. Why is that? Does the scabs in any way delay or prevent new hair growth?

I know there is one study by Bernstein and Rassman demonstrating that scabbing could put the grafts at risk for being dislodged a longer period than when no scabbing is present, but there must be other reasons for preventing scabbing.

What do you know about this subject?

Edited by Danny1976

I'm certainly no expert but I'm on day seven after a 5300 graft FUT procedure and I have a pretty scabbed up head. My clinic advised me that, after day five or six, I should start shampooing normally and work the scabs off using a circular motion with my fingers then run luke warm water over my scalp for 10-15 min for several days. They said most patients are much too careful during this phase and it's possible that pimples and other complications may develop if you don't encourage the scabs to come off. No picking dry scabs with finger nails though! I also apply vitamin E oil after showering both morning and evening. So far so good!