Can You Take A "Break" From Using Finasteride?

Jefff

Jefff - I've been taking Propecia for about 15 years. I started out using a T cream, and my hair started to shed pretty quick, even with the Propecia. I don't remember the exact wording but my doc told me something to the effect that my body was converting the cream to DHT, and that was the reason for the shed. I stopped using the cream maybe 3 weeks after I started. My doc recommended trying the shots and to date I've not experienced any further loss due to the T shots. Everyone is different but for me the shots work much better all the way around.

There are several steroid forums out there that have sections for trt and are a good source for information. There are a lot of guys out there our age that are posting. Some good info to keep up with, same as this forum..

Wow, 15 years?! I'm glad to hear that as I thought I was on it a long time at 7-8 years.

Yeah, I got a lot of info from the website T-Nation. I read that the Androgel in particular does what you said... converts into a lot of DHT. Apparently the shots don't raise the DHT

to any appreciable levels which is a big reason I'd chose the shots over the gel or cream.

Thank God for the internet! :)

Did you do anything about the gyno Jefff? Like i said, for me if it doesn't resolve on its own than i am looking at reduction surgery. Its hard to believe though that it will resolve spontaniously because i figure once breast tissue has developed it is not just going to go away. Another poster on a separate thread told me that he developed gyno from propecia as well but it resolved on its own once he stopped, so that is encouraging. Right now i am embarassed to take of my shirt.

Well when I first developed it I wasn't at 50lbs overweight like I grossly am now, so it was only hard breast tissue when you'd feel for it (and it was kinda painful too), but it wasn't really noticeable to the general public.

Now that I'm a big fatso there's also fat there and it's definitely noticeable. I didn't have the money to do anything about it back then and even now it would be a burden to pay for.

I'm hoping once I lose the 50lbs and tone up I'll be able to live with it.

I know that I also read that if you stop the Finasteride in time that the Gyne. could be reversible, but I don't know what the time frame was (or if a time frame was even given).

How long were on it before you developed a problem? Hopefully just coming off of it will be enough for you but if you need a great surgeon apparently Dr. Blau is the best. Off hand I don't recall but I think he's in White Plains NY, if that's possible for you to get to. He's got some good videos on Youtube.

• 3 weeks later...

i have taking propecia more than one year..the results was exxelent..i stopped loosing hair and my hair is much much better..i have noticed that my sperm gone waterly and the morning erections is very rarely...sometimes during sex i lost my erection...i ask an adrologist and told me to stop it immediattly...i ask an urologist and told me is not a problem..i make anylazes all my hormons is normal but my sperm is a little weak.(i have to say here that i had erection problems and before propecia)

..nothing to concern he told me and that is ok to continue...but i read all these scary side effects and i stopped it for two weeks now...my erections are better and the morning erections start again...the scary thing is that i start to losing many hair again...i really dont know what to do and which doctor i have to believe...any help pls?? if i would know that my side effects are these i can deal with that and defenetly continue propecia...do you think that i can take that risk?