Aurobindo 5mg Finasteride?

zenmunk

Anyone have experience taking Aurobindo 5mg Finasteride? Aurobindo Pharma is a company based in India. It's a round, blue pill with E 61 written on it.

Doc prescribed "5mg Finasteride." Duane Reade Pharmacy (in NYC) gave me the E 61 pills.

As it's generic, 30 pills cost me $18 & change. Quarter it, and you're saving a lot of doe.

You know the ol' adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." So, I'm hesitant to change from Merck's Propecia to Aurobindo's generic.

Anyone on the E 61 pills? What have your results been? Thanks.

____

On a related topic, I read a thread on this forum (circa 2007): http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/154062-1mg-propecia-vs-5mg-proscar-2.html

Direct your attention to posts #15 & #19. In them, a "Dr. Proctor" claims that finasteride is not recommended for men over 40, with an greater risk of sexual dysfunction, and possibly cancer, over the age of 50. Here's what he said:

"I will prescribe finasteride up to age 50 or so, after advising the patients accordingly, naturally. Over 40 is a "relative contraindication", mostly because the oldest person in the trial was 41. This seems appropriate most of the time because of the general reversibility of any sexual problems.

"Over 50, I start to worry. One reason is the significantly increased incidence of sexual dysfunction. The other is that, while finasteride early may retard the development of prostate cancer, it may promote the progression of the last precancerous stage to frank prostate cancer. As a practical matter, this is probably not an issue under age 50, if it is an issue at all." - Peter H. Proctor, PhD,MD

Any thoughts, particularly from docs, about this? Thanks.