How many grafts per square centre meter.

So I'm booked in with Dr Rahal for a procedure in about 3 months.Im really looking to-then.My problem area is the crown.I have measured it and its 8cmx5cm so 40cm squared.How many grafts per square centre meter do you think I should go for?I have been told i can get 2000 grafts fue.I was thinking 40.What numbers per square cm is the normal?this is my first post long time lurker.thanks

It really depends on your goals and available donor area.

In general, most surgeons will probably like to implant somewhere between 50 - 60 grafts/cm sq. Some surgeons will implant upwards of 70-80, but others believe this is a bit too risky. Just for some reference, normal scalp density is somewhere between 80-100, and most individuals don't notice thinning until a 50% recession (meaning 40ish terminal grafts/sq cm remaining) occurs.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Gary there's a difference between "grafts" and "hairs".

1 graft can contain as much as 4 hairs I believe. But the average is 2.

thus 100 (grafts) / cm2 = 200 (hairs) / cm2.

It's like saying "I read that a car was a moving vehicle. If it's a vehicle which is moving then that's better". Or "I read that 4 = 2+2. If it's 4 = 6-2 then that's better". No it's not better, it's essentially the same. Two way of formulating the same thing.

I hope it helps. As always, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Gary,

Like B61 stated, my numbers were referring to follicular units (the naturally growing collections of hair follicles) and not the hairs themselves. Because follicular units occur in increments from 1 to 4 hairs (with the average somewhere between 2-3), it's likely that a density of 80-100 follicular unit/sq cm would be around 200 hairs.

Sorry for any confusion!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.