My curls are gone - help!

Hello,

I am booked in to have HT surgery with Dr Wong in January.

The one thing that has helped me stay semi-sane while losing my hair is the fact that it is quite curly, which gives the appearence of having fuller hair than I do.

Last week, I visited a hair salon to have some hair extensions clipped in and have my hair styled for a special occassion (using a hair straightener). I normally don't use heat styling at all - I let my hair dry naturally and just run a bit of serum through it to keep it from going frizzy. I get it styled maybe 1-2 times a year for special occassions.

Normally, when I have this done, I wash my hair the next day and it goes back to normal pretty much straight away.

This time it has not. I have washed my hair 5 times since having it done and it is still not back to it's bouncy, curly self. It is now a weird combination of sort of straight with some kinks and curls at the ends.

This is really bothering me as it is the one thing that helped me cope. Now my hair looks thinner and pretty limp (although it is softer/smoother). I think it may have been caused by the hairdresser pulling down on my hair harder than usual. I did tell her to do it softer, which she did, but she then went back to pulling down harder again.

I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried using a volumizing treatment but even that didn't have great results.