Finasteride Shed (4 months)

Hi all,

I'm 20 and I've been on finasteride since July of this year, so approximately 4 months. I didn't experience a shed for the first 2 months or so, only my usual hair loss. However, in the past month I've seen a heavy shed. I've been reading a lot of material which says that you should so regrowth in the 3-6 month range which makes it confusing as to why I'm only shedding so heavily now.

I have quite thick hair but it's becoming more and more noticeable (for me mostly) that I'm shedding and losing my hair so I'm not sure if I should start using regaine as well. Looking for any feedback or past experiences that may help! Thank you!

Shedding at 4 months is normal and expected. Regrowth occurs around 6 months so do not worry everything is on track.

You can use rogaine foam as well just know that there is a similar shedding and regrowth period just like propecia. Using both will give you the best chances of keeping what you have as well as possibly regrowing dormant hairs.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians