Built a Fun Computer!!

OtherSyde

This isn't really about building a computer, mind you (lots of people do that), it's more about reaching the long-awaited milestone of building a completely new computer. Sort of like buying your first brand-new car (one day...).

I've known how to build computers for a long time (went to trade school for it during high school for 2 years), but I've always either had an all-in-one like an iMac back in 2001 or, more recently, a series of laptops since I've lived on a war-ship for six years now and needed the portability. I worked at a computer store for a brief while back in 2004 and sort of cobbled together a makeshift PC tower out of discarded, used components in the back warehouse, but I've always wanted to build my own flashy, stylish rig out of completely new components.

A week or two ago when my wife's laptop croaked, I seized the opportunity to go nuts on newegg.com, taking advantage of their Columbus day sale. I scored a motherboard, power supply, and 8GB of RAM for about $100. Then I bought the DVD-R drive and CPU (it's a Core i5 3570k with unlocked bus multiplier, if anyone speaks techie) a week later. It's not an incredible rig, but it's the fastest computer I've had yet by far, the only one comprised of all-new parts, and definitely the most colorful. I plan to get a GeForce 560 graphics card as well to top it off. But tonight I'm just using it to avoid doing my Sociology homework by making this post.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, my awesome Sony camera got crushed on a carnival ride a few weeks ago :(

[EDIT] - The keyboard and mouse are, ironically enough, from the previously-mentioned old iMac from 2001... They're the only spares I could dig up haha... Definitely going to upgrade those soon, too

The-Hive1.jpg

Edited by OtherSyde

Sweet! I've built my own computers a couple of times too and it's a lot fun. Nothing as cool as that one though. Enjoy!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website