Dr. Pak in LA

cowl

I had an excellent experience with Dr. Pak in LA. This was my second HT (first was with Bosley in NYC May 2010). Both transplants were 1200 FU each to restore my front hairline. Relatively mild balding in front.

It has been only 5 days and already the scalp has returned to almost normal color. This in comparison to my previous HT, which took several weeks for the redness to go away, to the extent that I had to use concealer when going out. I still have swelling in my face, which started in my forehead and is now descending through my nose. It looks pretty funny so I'm not going out, but I hadn't planned to leave the apt for a week anyway. The scar in back feels tight but comfortable. I had about a day and night of painful itching in the donor incision (which got me a little worried) but that has subsided. Overall I'm very pleased and look forward to seeing it grow (and fall out and grow again).

For me what really matters is the outcome. How I am treated by the staff is irrelevant (although they were excellent), and discomfort and hiding out for a week is not a big deal. Dr Pak went through and doubled the density by going between the hairs from the first transplant. He also changed the direction per my instructions. Whether this turns out ok or a hot mess remains to be seen. From my first HT, my hair started growing back in about 2 months, so I'll have an update soon.

Two issues, if anyone has any feedback. First of all, my hair is mostly straight, but the hair from the first HT has a natural slight curvature, all in the same direction. It's not clear how that happened. Was it planted with that curvature, or did it grow that way? Dr Pak said he can't control the curvature. Not a big deal -- just wondering.

Also is there a standard for the direction of the hair based on scalp position? I was not happy with the direction of the hair from my first HT, but I don't see any standards, so it seems like it's completely up to the doc. We discussed this on the morning of

the procedure, but by then it was too late to reach a confident conclusion about the 'right way' to proceed.

thin.png.ddce86fb779db189ab34e446521e8f8f.png

Edited by cowl
remove regret